The Lavery Twins - Chapter 2

Chapter 2.

"Holly is ugly! Holly is ugly!"

Matt and his friends sang it at me as I sulked and crossed my arms. Shane was kicking a soccerball around, and he picked it up and smirked at me.

"Holly! Catch!" He yelled, and whipped the ball right at me, smacking me right in the face.

I fell down to the ground, my head throbbing with pain as I started crying. The boys all started laughing at me as I laid there and cried.

Grace came running out, her blonde hair in a messy bun and wearing oven mitts - probably in the middle of baking.

"Matt! Shane!" Grace yelled as she knelt down beside me, "get in the house now!"

"But mom!" Matt protested.

"Now!" Grace snapped as she helped me up, wiping my tears away.

Matt and Shane stormed into the house, and I glared at them as Shane slammed the door behind him.

"Does it hurt badly?" Grace smiled down at me.

I nodded, sniffling.

"Don't worry, Matt and Shane are about to learn their lesson. Lets go put some ice on that."

I was six. That day flashed back into memory when I saw Shane kicking around his old soccer ball. The same one from years ago. Shane stopped playing soccer a while ago, after realising he never liked it in the first place.

I didn't mean to watch him, I was doing the dishes, and I always looked out the window to look around as I did them. I couldn't help but notice Shane next door, probably bored out of his mind as he lazily kicked the ball around, doing some tricks here and there.

I smiled to myself. Shane was wearing black skinny jeans and a black hoodie. I remember he always used to wear bright colours, always wanting to stand out.

I rolled my eyes as I washed another dish. I really have to stop thinking of the past. Shane's right - people change. Maybe I'm the only one who hasn't.

I just can't help it, though. I've known these boys for fourteen years - living next door to them, always going to their house while my dad was away. Then, they go to Florida for one year and come back completely different people.

Well....Matt hasn't really changed. He's just become a little more....hormonal.

School ended for the summer a few days ago, and so with no more school to worry about, I was just kind of slumping around the house, having nothing to do.

The phone started ringing, which startled me, and I quickly took my hands out of the sink and dried them off on a rag. The phone continued to ring, and I grabbed it from the table, and put it to my ear. "Hello?"

"Holly?" It was Ally, my best friend since we were seven. I smiled.

"Hey Ally, what's up?" I held the phone between my shoulder and ear as I finished wiping off my hands on my sweat pants.

"I'M SO BORED! HOLLY COME OVER PLEASE, PLEASE PLEASE!" She was yelling so loud I actually had to hold the phone away from my ear so I wouldn't go deaf. I could still hear her begging me.

"Okay, okay! Jesus Christ!" I laughed. "When do you--"

"Now."

"Um, are you--"