3.

3.

My body buzzed for the rest of the day. It felt like a charge of electricity surrounded me and I couldn't shift it no matter how hard I tried.

Nick was persistent, I'd give him that but my reaction to him was the only thing that scared me so much. I never was scared of men trying to get me underneath them, I was never afraid of a flirt. I was a very flirty woman myself but I had never reacted to any other man the way I did Nick. 

A part of me wanted to charge after him and let him do all the things he wanted, yet another part of me was scared of being used. I never shied away from sex, it was a physical, unemotional thing to me but with Nick I didn't think it would be. I wouldn't be able to stop the emotions this time because he affected me in such way no other man had ever before.

I had only been back a few days and I was already a mess.

"Cathy." My dad came up beside me. "You can take the rest of the day off now if you'd like." He scribbled something in his diary and turned to face me.

"Are you sure?" I asked.

"It's pretty much dead in here today. Go do something fun."

"Like what?" I hadn't been home for years, I had almost forgotten what was here. I guess a tour would be good for me. A walk, so I could try and sort out of fizzled mind after Nick's appearance. "I think I'll go for a walk."

"Sounds nice. Be safe." He kissed me on the cheek before I grabbed my jacket and walked out of the shop. I left my father to draw.

The air was bitter but I valued it today. I needed to wake up, be sharp, I couldn't let Nick affect me. I knew I'd be seeing him, I knew he'd be around more than I wanted as he was so close to my father. Would he try to get me to bed every time he saw me? Would he behave around my father? I hoped he would.

Nick could get any woman he chose, why did he want to have me? Was I a challenge to him? Did he like the chase? The thought left a bitter taste in my mouth. I didn't want to be a part of that at all.

I walked down the street, past the bricked houses and through the small tunnel to town. It wasn't far away and I fancied looking in the shops. It would distract me for a few hours at a least. I hoped.

"Cathy!" I heard my name being called. I turned to the noise and saw the small red head bounding up to me.  "Oh my god, I knew it was you!" She gushed.

"Danni?" I looked to her and gasped. Danni and I had been the best of friends in school. She was a natural brunette but had always dyed her head red. She stood out and I was always envious of how confident and sassy she was.

"Girl, you came back!" She pulled me in to a hug and I relished in her touch. She had always been there for me when things got tough. I cried for days when I knew I would have to leave her, it was so hard to leave your best friend at home especially as a teenager and in the middle of growing up. "I thought you would never come back."

"I'm so sorry it took me this long." I stated. I had promised to come back and see her every summer; I didn't, not once. I wanted to see her and it wasn't because I didn't have money to do it, my mother married a rich man who said he'd give it to me if needed. I didn't want that but most of all I didn't want to come home. If I did I'd never want to go back again. I had never liked good byes, they broke me. Doing it more than once was just too much.