Chapter 4

Mrs. Hughes Pov.
I walked out of my sitting room and out into the hallway, I closed my door and walked to Mr. Carson's office. I walk in to see Mr. Carson sitting in his chair at his desk checking the wine chart.

I close the door behind me as he looked up.

"So, how did breakfast go?" He leaned back in his chair, interlocking his fingers over his stomach.

"Quite well, Aside from Lady Mary and Lady Lilly not getting along." I chuckled.

"And then there is lady Lilly and Mr. Barrow. They keep sneaking each other smiles and glances when no one else is looking." I smile.

"There is nothing wrong with that Mr. Carson." He gave me a look.

"I beg to differ." Just then there was a knock at the door.

"Come in." spoke Mr. Carson. The door opened to reveal Mr. Barrow.

"May I have a word with the both of you?" I nodded my head and gestured with my hand for him to come in.

He walked in and closed the door behind him. I heard Mr. Carson sigh.

"What is it that you need, Mr. Barrow?" He looked down for a brief second before speaking.

"I was wanting to ask, if it would be alright, if I went to the village with Lilly before we have to get ready for lunchin?"

He looked from me to Mr. Carson to me again, I was going to speak when Mr. Carson beat me to it.

"Absolutely not." I looked back at him. "And why not, Mr. Carson?" He sighed again.

"Because he is a Footman, lower class. And she is a Lady, higher class. Do you see what I'm getting at?" Thomas was going to speak but I did instead.

"What is wrong with them walking down to the village together? It's not like they're running away to get married, Mr. Carson." I turned to Mr. Barrow.

"You may go, Mr. Barrow." I heard Mr. Carson start to object, but I turned around and raised a brow at him. He closed his mouth and just sat there. Mr. Barrow smiled. "Thank you Mrs. Hughes."

"You're welcome, dear."

He opened the door and Lilly was standing outside in the hallway. Mr. Barrow gave her a smile, she looked to her left at me and Mr. Carson.

"Mr. Carson, Mrs. Hughes." I smiled at her, to which she returned.

"Lilly." She turned to Mr. Barrow.

"You ready to go?" She nodded and gave us one last smile before they walked away.

They got to the back door and Mr. Barrow opened it for her. "Thank you, Mr. Barrow." He bowed.

"You're welcome, M'lady."I smiled watching the two.

She walked out with him following. I looked to my right and saw Mrs. Patmore watching them through the window into the hall. She smirked before turning around and yelling at Daisy like she usually does.

I turned around to see Mr. Carson with a pout on his face. "Well, if you're going to pout, I think we should take you on up to bed." He opened his mouth to speak but closed it again. I smirked proudly as I turned around and walked out of his office, closing the door behind me.

I walk into the kitchen as Mrs. Patmore walked back to her desk. I looked toward the back door. "Those two seem to be getting on quite nicely." She hummed.

"Yes, they are. Haven't seen Thomas smile like that ever since he arrived here two years ago. She's a miracle that one"

William turned away from talking to Daisy. "I don't like it." Mrs. Patmore and I turned to him.