Chapter 14

"Here you are, Captain Michaels. Your books as requested" he gave me a small smile and a thank you as I handed him his books.

I pulled some letters out of my pocket as I handed them out to the proper owners. "Lilly?" I turned to Edith "What is it?" I asked handing out the last letter.

"We need to go outside and wait for the General" I messed as I followed her. I took off my apron as Mary and a woman I've never met before approached me.

"Lavinia, this is my sister, Lilly Carmichael. Lilly, this is Lavinia Swire, Mathews Fiancé" I raised my brow in surprise. I guess Mathew did move from Mary over the years.

"It's wonderful to meet you, Miss Swire" we shook hands "Its wonderful to meet you too. You're all Mathew talks about" I laughed nervously "Good things I hope?"

She laughed "Wonderful things" the three of us smiled "Mary! Girls!" Cora called from outside, the three of us stepped outside.

Cora, Robert, Mrs. Crawley and Dr. Clarkson stood in front of the door. Mr. Carson and Mrs. Hughes stood to the left side of the door along with rest of the staff.

As Mary, Sybil, Edith, Lavinia and I stood to the right with the nurses behind us. Thomas stood in the doorway. The car came down the drive.

"Up!" Thomas shouted, all the soldiers saluted as the car parked. "Up!" He yelled again as their arms retreated to their sides.

Thomas looked to me and gave a cocky smirk, I looked away clenched my jaw as I held my head high. Mathew got out of the passenger seat, I couldn't help but smile at the sight of him in his uniform.

Him and the General stood in front of Robert and Cora. "My cousin, Lord Grantham" he told him, Robert Saluted "This is very kind of you, Lord Grantham" Robert lowered his arm.

He turned to Cora "Lady Grantham" she smiled "And this is Major Clarkson, who runs out hospital here" they both saluted each other.

"And I'm Captain Crawley's mother, and I will accompany you on your tour and explain the different levels of care we practice here" she told him proudly.

"Lady Grantham and Mrs. Crawley will both accompany us as we go around, sir" Dr. Clarkson explained "Makes a nice change from the craggy-faced Warriors I'm usually spur rounded by"

Cora giggled "I'd like to think that were true. Please come this way" Cora explained as Mrs. Crawley tried to but in as they walked inside. Mathew looked over all of us and his eyes landed on me.

I grinned, he smiled as he lifted me up and hugged me, he laughed lightly into my ear. I giggled into his shoulder "Where the bloody hell have you been all this time?" He asked.

I laughed lightly. "Long story" he chuckled "Crawley!" The General called after him, he put me down and wiped his eyes as he smiled before kissing my cheek.

He smiled again before walking inside. Sybil linked arms with me as we followed everyone inside.

~~~~
"The ground floor rooms are for those men who need the most care. Sir" Mathew explained to the General "Yes, of course" he looked around "General Strutt, sir" said a soldier with his hand missing.

He he brought his attention to the soldier as he walked over to him. "Oh, right. Yes. Tell me about this officer" he asked the soldier.