Chapter 12

All of us gripped the handles, eyes never leaving the large machine planted right in front of us. The memory of this black box made us all shudder at our seats.

"Please tell me there's not a massive monster in there. Please tell me it's empty." Hunk whined. "Or full of space candy. One of those two, either one is fine."

"I don't think it's a piñata Hunk" Lance muttered.

"If it's the same kind of monster that attacked us, then we already know how to beat it." Keith said. He lodged his bayard in and formed the giant sword, forming the shield as well.

"I doubt that they're gonna use the same trick twice. Either they made major upgrades to that monster, or there's something bigger, badder and uglier in there." I muttered, accompanied by Hunk's yelp in fear. In that moment, the machine opened and it revealed an even nastier looking monster. It had a face that looked like an angler fish, arms that resembled flat tentacles and was covered in a red armor. The eye holes on its head lit in green and when it saw us, the chest circle also glowed in green and it shot a green beam at us. Pidge defended us with the shield but it was more powerful that it was pushing us back.

"We need to draw its fire away from the Balmera surface!" Shiro ordered and got Voltron out of the beam's way. We flew towards the monster but it jumped up and fired a stronger beam at us. It was harder to keep it together and even tougher to avoid its shots. We tried to slice it but the armor was too hard and it kept shooting at us before we could even hit.

"We can't hold out much longer!" Lance cried out.

"My lion's weakening. If the shield takes in any more damage we're done for." Pidge stated.

"Pidge is right." Keith said.

"Oh Pidge is right? I'm the one who said we can't hold out!" Lance complained.

"Lance! Watch your footing!" Before Lance could hear Keith, the blue lion tripped over a rock and caused Voltron to fall and the shield broke.

"Ok...Team Voltron disband!" Shiro said and we separated, letting our lions fly in the sky. "Everyone evasive maneuvers. It can't shoot us all at once." But then the monster raised its arms and the holes on them glowed in green. An uneasy feeling rose in me just as the holes shot all those beams at once. "Ok...it can do that too." Shiro muttered as we tried to evade all of the lasers. It would have been a pretty light show if we weren't caught in the middle and have it trying to kill us. But they stopped for a second when the castle ship shot its back. The monster used its eye to shoot at the castle's barrier and it seemed to have sustained a lot of damage.

"Keith, (y/n), shoot it from the sides. I'm coming in from above." Keith and I responded before flying towards it and shooting our lasers at it. But even the red lion's heat laser didn't make a scratch. Shiro dived down to shoot it from above but the monster's eye spun and saw it, aiming a beam which Shiro barely avoided. "We need to find its blind spot!"

"What blind spot?! This thing has like a thousand eyes!" Pidge retorted. "What do we do? Fighting this thing is like fighting an entire fleet at once!"

"I think we have to aim at those laser eyes and take it out." Keith suggested.

"We'll cover you from up here." Allura said before the ship shot at the monster. But the monster shot all of its lasers at the castle. Even from here I could tell the castle was in big trouble if this continues.

"Allura, you got to get out of there! The ship will blow apart if you stay there any longer." I said.

"We will not abandon you." I heard Allura firmly say.

"You're not abandoning us, we're about to pull back anyway." Shiro said.

"We are?" Hunk asked with a hint of relief.