The Sarees

Vindhya came with some sarees at home. She had gone outside to one of her social gathering. Suman was packing lunch for everyone to send to office. Maheswari came out

" What is this Vindhya. Whose sarees is this "

" Maa this is the saree of the bahu of Mahantji and bahu of that lady Sulakshna. They have given it for painting by Suman. Navarathri is coming, Karvachawth is coming and Diwali is coming right. There will be Jagratha's, many temple functions, dance programmes all right. They want to go decked up "

" Vindhya does their MILs, does Mahantji know, I don't want another trouble for Suman. Go and give it back to them"

" Maa do you think I will bring trouble for Suman. Their sasural doesn't know. But they want to. See this ladies and all have desires. Desires to look good. When they see my saree which most of them are painted and embroidered by her, they also want that. So let them wear. Then more ladies will want. By the time it goes out most of the ladies would have done work by Suman. So they themselves will keep quiet. Wont raise issues. This temple priest wife and Sulakshana are the biggest headaches. Starting with their bahu's means things will work. So at home itself Suman can charge for ther work going forward, just like she get fees for her dance coaching. She has 5 students now right, without we doing anything"

" Maa Vindhya is right. It is they who are giving. We are not telling."

" Well if you both feel this is fine, then let it be. Papa will not be happy knowing it. But leave that to me. I will manage. I guess there are around 6-7 sarees. Suman there is a shade in the terrace. I will ask servants to put a bench for you. It is other's sarees so work in a more open space"

" Suman even if you don't come to kitchen it is fine. We will manage. But these sarees has to be closed by next week "

" Vindhya Bhabi don't worry. They will be closed "

That evening Sreedhar came early as the load that was supposed to come that day would come next day only. So he didn't had to do inspection. So he thought he will come home and then read through Murali's file on his retail plan. Rarely he got time to go into details of that as he was new to business Rajasekhar was sending him from one department to another to learn.

Renuka bought tea and Vindya bought snacks. Sreedhar's eyes were searching Suman. Where was she. Usually she used to be downstairs only either in kitchen or with kids teaching them or playing with them. But she was not there. Aakash was watching TV, Nami was reading book and Adwaith was sitting with his building blocks. But she was not there.

" Maa did Suman had tea. I guess she is still in terrace lost in her work. I guess I should go and call her for tea" told Vindhya

" Work, what work she is doing in terrace." Asked Sreedhar

Renuka told him what Vindhya has done. " Sreedhar do me a favour naa. Just go and call her for tea. She is working since afternoon" told Vindhya

"Yes Bhabi" he told as his heart raced. He will get a few mins alone with her after so many months.

Vindhya looked at him as he went upstairs and smiled to herself " Devarji I know your heart is dancing. Let me see how long you will play hide and seek with your bhabi"

Suman was doing the painting. Both her hands had mix of paint. " Sumanji you are asked to come down for tea"

She looked up startled to see him, smiling at her. " Sreedhar I need to finish this saree I am doing. I will come down after that"

" Fine I will sit here till you finish the work " he sat on railing

" Sreedhar I said you go"

" Why, Why should I go. I am not troubling you. Do your work "

" Sreedhar this is someone else's saree. I cannot afford to make mistake "

" Why should you make mistakes if I sit here " he persisted

" You know the answer Sreedhar " this time she looked at him sadly, a tear trickling through her cheeks

" I will look at the saree, not you, let me enjoy your beautiful handiwork. Why don't you talk something about the design you are making" asked Sreedhar

" Design that is according to situation Sreedhar. See these woman want to wear it for Navrathri, Karawachawth and all. These are very bright festivals. So I am using red, yellow and green extensively in the design. Painting diyas that signify happiness, then roses that signify love and beauty, greenery that signifies prosperity, then peacock the only place I use blue, it adds beauty to the whole terrain". She went on explaining each aspect of the design lost in herself and painting also, while he looked at her, her chatter thinking when he can make her wear the painted saree with all its vibrant colors

Their riverie was broken by Vindhya who after observing them for a distance thought it's time to break else queries will come from Maa " Haan I had send him to bring you down and here he is sitting listening to the design. Tea is getting cold. Wash your hands and have tea Suman. Sreedhar I have bought your tea and snacks too. Come let us sit in the terrace and have it. "

" One minute bhabi" told Suman

" No one minute, 2 minute when I say come, you have to come. No work without food. Come even I bought my tea up " She spread a mat on the terrace and kept 3 tea cups and snacks. As they drank tea Vindhya observed Sreedhar's eyes never leaving Suman for a second and she blushing silently very well aware of the gaze and smiled to herself. She was right after all. Only one who told Maheswari when Suman's photo came that this girl looks good for Sreedhar, not for Murali