On the Road

Sreedhar kept the bags on the open van. Sudhir had arranged for the open van from his friend for the Jodhpur trip.

" Beta take this also" as Maheswari kept a bag full of home made sweets

" Sreedhar one more bag please " came in Suman

Looking at the luggage of Suman and Poorni Sreedhar exclaimed " Are we going to stay there permanently. We are going only for one week "

" Sreedhar Chachu agreed one week. But when I spoke to Rakhi bua she told us the detailed plan, where all we will be going. So we need dresses. We are not going to some underground place to go with a duffel bag. It is nothing less for Adwaith and Nami"

" Yes only me, Aakash and Vaishnav have just one small suitcase each and what Rakhi bua she is just 2 years elder to you Poorni. Wrote her 12th exams this year"

" Oh I didn't know that, so I will call her Rakhi didi it is not a big deal " told Poornima

They were starting early so that they reach Ajmer first, meet Sreedhar's cousin sister Sandhya and her family, visit the dargah and then leave for Jodhpur.

Maheswari had asked Sandhya whether her family had any problem in seeing Suman. Sandhya said no such issues. Suman was welcome in her home as her MIL herself was a widow and she was quite happy to go to temple after the success of " Dignity for widow campaign" and was eagerly waiting to see the champions of the movement.

Sreedhar got into the driver seat with Poorni beside him . Suman sat with Nami and Adwaith in the middle, while Aakash and Vaishnav were put in the back.

They all waved to the family as the van moved out of the driveway. Once outside the city limits Poorni switched on the car stereo and the song played

" Yuhi Kat jaayega safar saath chalne se, ke manzil aayegi nazar saat chalne se"

And they all started singing along with that when Suman interrupted. " Sreedhar in all the hustle bustle of the shop I forgot to ask Maa about who all will be we meet in Jodhpur. I know Rakhi is there, I know Latika Mami, what about the rest."

" Sumanji Maa has 2 elder brothers, 1 younger brother and 1 younger sister. Somu Mamu the youngest is in Agra as he got job in income tax department. He has 2 sons. We will not be meeting them.

Jaideep Mamu is the eldest and Latika Mami is his wife. They have 2 sons and 2 daughters. Geeta didi is in Jodhpur itself and Sandhya didi we will be meeting on the way. Sujoy Bhaiya and Sudeep Bhaiyya are with family and into agriculture. Sujoy Bhaiya's wife Priti Bhabi runs the girls school now. Sudeep Bhaiyya's wife Chaya Bhabi supports her. Sujoy Bhaiyya has 2 kids one son, one daughter Rajdeep and Rajashree. Sudeep Bhaiyya 2 daughters one son. Smitha, Sharan, Shreya

Jaidev Mamu has 2 sons and 1 daughter. Both his sons were crazy about Army. So they both cleared NDA and joined Army. We wont be meeting them also as one is in Bombay,other in Arunachal. Rakhi is the youngest daughter.

Then Sobha Mausi is there. She is in Jodhpur only. I am not sure whether we can go there. Sobha Mausi was married to a very conservative family as they liked Mausi and proposed her. Those days when the boy's family propose the girl's family was not supposed to tell no unless it was something like the family had criminal background or something. But then they are very orthodox in customs and all. Maybe Sobha Mausi will come home for few hours. Sobha Mausi has 2 sons and 2 daughters. Both her daughters are married and sons are in family business, kind of conservative only. I am not very much comfortable with them.

As they were talking the song " Ghunghat ki aadh se" started playing. Suman saw Sreedhar adjusting the mirror to see her face.

" Poorni don't we have some other casettes" asked Suman

" Why Chachi this is a beautiful song" told Poorni

" Yes it is a beautiful song, but I want to live a little longer" winked Suman looking at Poorni

" Poorni didn't you take DTPH cassette, that will be perfect. I don't think Sreedhar Chachu or Suman Chachi listened to those songs as it was released last year" told Vaishu

" Perfect Vaishu. How could I forget" she stopped the cassette midway and then put DTPH from her hand bag

" Chand ne kuch Kaha, Raat ne kuch suna, tub hi sun bekhabar pyaar kar "

" You watched the movie " asked Sreedhar

" Yes my mamu used to take me for movies atleast once a quarter. It is after coming here I have not gone for a single movie" told Poorni

" Here nobody goes to theatre. Dadu was allergic to music and dance. Papa kind of continued it, till I demanded a tape recorder and well now your Suman Chachi teaching dance. I have heard your Papa got solid beating for studying music" told Sreedhar

" So we should continue not going for any movies" asked Poorni

" No let us see we will go for a movie as a family " told Sreedhar.

Then they chatted on many things. In between Suman passed snacks to the kids and soon they saw the entry point of Ajmer and Poorni switched off the stereo. They had to look good afterall they were going to Sandhya didi's sasural.