Pre-Wedding Get together

Suman dressed up in a pale orange cotton saree with light embroidery in the pallu and wore one of the jewellery sets Maheswari had given her. She decided not to wear what Sandhya gave her. She will first show it to Maa and if she says fine she will wear it. She took the gift she had bought for Ria didi. Rakhi had insisted on tying her hair and for a change she had French braided it instead of her usual bun. Rakhi also made her wear black sticker long bindi in place of her kajal round bindi. Only when she was satisfied with Suman's look she allowed Suman to look in the mirror. She decided to go down as she knew everyone will be waiting there. She hoped Sreedhar wont gaze.

But as she stepped out she saw him standing near the stairs. It looked as if he is signaling something to Vaishu who was coming from other end, but then Suman knew he was there just to look at her. She blushed feeling his piercing look.

The other family members were also dressed . They were going for Raji's Nazar utharna. Latika Mami told she is taking all children also to do Nazar utharna. She told food is being arranged for everyone in the temple after the Pooja. She asked Sreedhar also to come for the Pooja after dropping Suman to Rai Haweli. Then he can go in the evening and bring her back. So she will have sufficient time to spend with all her friends.

When Suman was entering the van she heard Chaya Bhabi telling Latika Mami " I will tell Raji's would be MIL in a playful manner that Suman has been invited to her friend's pre wedding function and she has gone for that".

" Chaya Bahu you will not leave anyone right" asked Latika Mami and Suman smiled. She was reminded of Maa and Vindhya Bhabi.

Once they were on the road Sreedhar looked at her " Sumi you are fine right. I didn't expect Sourabh will fall this low. I thought he will behave decently at least with close relations."

" I am fine Sreedhar, I will manage. From teenage we girls are used to Sourabh type men. For God's sake don't fight with him over me. "

" No Sumi I am not going to fight with him anyway as Vaishu has given you a body guard" told Sreedhar smiling.

" Bodyguard who" asked Suman

" Adwaith " told Sreedhar and they both laughed. Soon they reached the gates of Rai Haweli and a valet came to park the car. Suman and Sreedhar got out. Sreedhar had called Rai Haweli the day before and had spoken to Ria. She said they will be in the banquet hall in 5th floor which is exclusively booked for their guests for the complete week. So they took the lift and reached the 5th floor. They found the door of banquet hall closed.

" Ria didi, Gautham Bhaiyya" called Suman. There was no response. " Kailash" shouted Sreedhar. Still silence but in between Suman heard some giggle.

" Guys open the door. We know you all are inside" told Sreedhar

" Sree, Suman open the door yourself" came the voice of Aleena from inside the room.

" Sreedhar I guess they have planned some surprise for us and whatever it is we will have to bear" told Suman. Sreedhar held her hand and gently opened the door and they entered together only to be received with graffiti falling all over from a flower umbrella kept above , Aleena and Gauthami holding its both ends.

" Suman" came Ria running. " Ria didi " Suman went towards her and they both hugged and soon the rest of the girls gang joined the hug. Once the initial euphoria was over Ria looked at Suman. She looked different. The playful girl was missing, her eyes held a deep pain despite the happiness it showed on being there with them.

" Sit here Suman. Tell me how are you. Is this idiot looking after you well " asked Ria pointing at Sreedhar.

" Don't call him idiot didi. He is taking a lot of stress though you see him grinning" told Suman

" When did you start defending him Suman. You don't question him these days" came Shalini

" I question him didi. Even now I question him now and then. Only thing is that in college he used to listen to me, now he questions me back" told Suman and they all laughed.

" You question her, how dare you Sreedhar question my sister" Gautham punched Sreedhar on the stomach.

" Arrey slowly please " told Sreedhar. Meanwhile Ria's mother and Bhabi came. Ria introduced Suman to her mother. They had met Sreedhar when they had visited college. Ria's mother looked affectionately at Suman. " Megha told me you look beautiful when she came to invite you for the wedding. But I will tell you are not just beautiful, you have a silent power about you"

" Power Maa she has. You wont believe. She is expert in questioning. Should have been in media. Would have grilled the politicians" told Ria

" Beta I heard you are going to start business"

" Yes aunty. Thanks to Sreedhar. Yes a shop is going to be opened as subsidiary of existing business" told Suman

" Aunty I have to go. I will come to pick her in the evening " told Sreedhar as he checked the watch. It will look odd if he doesn't reach temple on time.

" Beta you didn't had anything. Megha atleast bring barfi for him. What is the hurry Sreedhar" asked Ria's mother

" Aunty you know mine and Suman's social status. No one in family knows we studied in same college. I have been asked to come for a Pooja. If I don't go it will not look nice" told Sreedhar.

" I understand beta, take the sweet and sharbath before you go. And rest tell 15 minutes before food needs to be served for you all. I need to inform the reception" told Ria's mother as she walked away to look at other arrangements. Megha bought the sweet and sharbath and gave to everyone. Sreedhar quickly had it, hugged Gautham and Kailash and then went outside the banquet hall.

Once he was gone questions started coming from everyone on how she is. She told them about how much Maheswari takes care of her. How Renu Bhabi and Vindhya Bhabi is supportive of her. Then she talked about the kids Aakash, Adwaith, Nami, Poorni and Vaishu.

"She has become a family woman. Ria learn something from her. " told Kailash playfully at Ria

Suman asked about Shekhar, Anand and Krithika and Ria told that they all could come only for the wedding.

Then Suman gave Ria the gift she had bought. Everyone insisted on opening it. Inside was a Yellow Green saree with full body embroidery in green, yellow and red.

" You did it " asked Ria. Suman nodded.

" It is so beautiful Suman. Believe me I will take this to US and will wear for Indian functions there. Sanjeev was telling the Indian diaspora over there celebrates Diwali and all." told Ria.

" I am so happy you liked it and Aleena, Gauthami, Shalini didi I have bought duppattas for all of you. This is for Kritika didi. Give it to her. " told Suman as she gave fabric painted duppattas to her friends.

Then she saw someone placing a saree in front of her only to turn and see Gautham standing behind her

" Gautham Bhaiyya what is this " asked Suman

" Gift for you Suman. Maa had selected it. When I get my first salary I may not be able to send a gift to you, so bought it now itself. Keep it" Suman looked at the peach colored cotton saree and smiled at Gautham.

" Well Suman I will send from Hydrabad when I receive my Rakhi. Sreedhar is there right. Need to give him some work" told Kailash and everyone laughed.

They had a good lunch reminiscing the old college days, joking about various things and teasing each other. Ria's other family members including her 2 brothers and father came and met them in between.

Around 5 pm when they finished tea and snacks Sreedhar came to take her. He chatted with everyone for sometime and then told they need to leave . Ria called her mother telling Suman has to leave.

This time Ria's whole family came to bade them goodbye. Ria's mother gave a saree to Suman and also a photo of LakshmiNarayan.

" Suman keep this LakshmiNarayan in your room. I have got this specially for you from our family temple. Let all his blessings come your way". Suman touched her feet and took blessings. Sreedhar also took blessings from aunty and uncle. They wished Ria all the best.

On their way back Sreedhar looked at Suman. She looked happy and content. He gently caressed her hands. She looked at him and smiled.