The Jagratha

Sudhir managed to convicne Rajasekhar for allowing Suman on terrace. Even Maheswari felt that is the best way after hearing the reason why Sudhir wanted it that way. Maheswari asked Suman to sit on the terrace and as much as possible not try to observe the Jagratha from above. Lest somebody see her and create an issue. But Maheswari knew that it was not possible. How much the girl will sit alone on the terrace. She might just look down. Aakash and Vindhya were given charge of not allowing anyone on the terrace.

Day before Jagratha Vindhya managed to give Sreedhar and Suman some private space as usual when Suman was painting on the terrace Renuka Bhabi's Jagratha saree.

" Sumanji please be cautious. I will be down only. Anything suspicious use the stairs below to signal to Vindhya Bhabi or Aakash. One of them will be always by the stairs.Don't hesitate. I will come up in flash of a second "

Suman saw his eyes full of concern for her. He had told her the real reason they had made her sit on the terrace.

" Sreedhar I will take care. You don't worry too much. There will be enough guests and you need to take care of them. Tilak Jethji along with Renuka Bhabi has to sit for Jagratha as the main family member. Sudhir Jethji cannot manage everything alone especially when Vindhya Bhabhi is kept on guard for me "

" I know I have so many things to look at and this is a very complicated situation. Please be assured your safety is of utmost important to me "

Suman nodded as they parted ways. It was evening with all the arrangement made for Jagratha. Tilak and Renuka received Mahantji and his wife with all formalities. As Mahantji entered he looked at the arrangements and checked on the family members. Every family member was outside. He smiled. Their men would not have much problem to carry out the plan. Any case he had asked Pratap to come as a back up if anything doesn't work out . To chalk out a Plan B.

Maheswari was in front of the mandap catering to the ladies who came though she left all the major activities to Renuka. Nami, along with Adwaith was with Sreedhar and they were ushering in guests. Sudhir was running around giving orders to catering team, people making the lighting arrangements, hall arrangements etc..

Two girls came in both dressed in traditional Rajasthani style. As they passed they looked at Sreedhar and Sreedhar smiled at them. Aleena and Gauthami looked typical Rajasthani teenagers with their ghagras and traditional jewellery. No one will tell in one minute these girls will switch to jeans and top and can wield a mike. He signalled them always to be around him and they nodded. Aleena and Gauthami walked fixing miniature spy cameras which Shekhar had managed to get them in the beautiful flower pots fixed in the hall. They had 4 such cameras . Gauthami kept a video camera delicately placed at the centre of the hall hidden between the speakers. The girls marked the location and then they mingled with the crowd as they came.

5 people specially instructed by Mahantji came in along with Pratap who looked at the surroundings of Varma mansion. Poornima had asked if she could come. Harkishore had told her to stay put. Pratap knew it was not time for the community to know Poornima. First let him finish of the task in hand. Public humilation of this family.

Jagratha started and people started involving in the same as songs started. With songs, drums, the ringing of aarti bells the sound was deafning. Sreedhar occasionally glanced towards the terrace side. Vindhya Bhabi assured everything is fine. Suman sat most of the time. But occasionally she got up and looked down. Seeing the people moving around she thought about the Jagratha's she had attended as a child with her mother. Then she will go back to her place.

Pratap signalled the henchmen. 2 men guarded the front and back entrance of the house, while 3 went inside. 1 searched downstairs while 2 went upstairs. They searched nook and corner of the house. Opened the cupboards, checked behind doors, windows, curtains. Their target was not there. Then one person said they will check the terrace as it was the only place left. They gently opened the terrace door that was from inside. There they saw her. Standing near the railing. The man tried to go in, but the other stopped him and closed the door.

" Idiot what are you doing. If you go and catch her there, there is every chance the girl will jump. These girls care a lot about their honor and prefers death or disability compared to it. Then the purpose will be lost. Everyone will be sympathetic towards her only as she died to protect her honor. Come let us go and tell Pratapji that the girl is on the terrace"

They came out and told Pratap. Pratap asked them to check after 1 hr. 2 hrs went where the men checked twice, came back and told him that the girl is still on the terrace.

" So it seems Varma's have got intelligent this time. But they don't know Pratap. See we only want to ensure she touches a man and that man can be her devar also. Do anyone of you know who is Sreedhar Varma"

One of the men pointed to Sreedhar who was standing by the side of the hall talking to someone. " The girl checks occasionally down. I have noticed it. Now look. One of you have to go and talk to Sreedhar Varma and bring him down that big chandelier. The girl can see the Chandelier from above. As soon as you see the girl up and watching, two of you go and untie that Chandelier. But one thing, ensure the Chandelier doesn't come much down. Only the girl has to feel it is coming down. Seeing the danger for her devar she will come. All sanskaari girls have that problem. Protection of family members. But according to the traditional society devar is another man for a widow. If the people doesn't witness the chandelier coming down, it would be treated as the girl's illusion and then Mahantji will take care." He grinned widely. Bahu of Varma Mansion."

As planned one man went to Sreedhar and bought him talking under the Chandlier. When he tried to move away another hench man engaged him. Suman fed up sitting has just got up. She saw Sreedhar was standing under the Chandelier. Suddenly she saw a movement. The Chandelier that was coming down and Sreedhar was directly under it. She checked once again to assure it is not her illusion, but the reality. Yes it was. There was no time. No one will hear her cry from here and there was no time to warn Vindhya Bhabi. She sprinted towards the stairs. But for the men that split second delay from Suman cost their plans, they were unable to hold the Chandelier as it came rapidly came down.

Ignoring a Vindhya Bhabi who asked her to stop Suman sprinted to the hall shouting Sreedhar move away. Sreedhar turned towards her startled and before he knew what was happening Suman pushed him hard inside the mandap, but the impact made her slip, tripping the desk that had the thali of haldi and kumkum. Sreedhar caught her and pulled her towards him so that the desk don't fall over her.

A startled crowd looked over as Suman and Sreedhar rolled over due to the impact of pushing and falling of the desk. When they stopped his arm was firmly over her waist, both her hands round his neck, both his white kurta and her white saree completely colored in haldi and kumkum and her open hair covering both their faces.

The Chandelier was stopped just above the ground by the men, but then Pratap had missed the impact. Yes issue will be there. But the fact she came to protect her devar could not be hidden now.