The Burn Marks

Maheswari came next day early morning to hospital. She asked Sreedhar to go, freshen up and then come back. Hopefully she expected by that time the doctor would have come and told the condition of Suman.

The nurse came to Maheswari and told doctor has come. Suman is fine, but doctor would like to speak to her.

Maheswari went to the doctor " Doctor saab how is Suman. Does she have any problems"

" No Bhabiji, Suman is perfectly alright. But she cannot wear saree for some days as we have put 7 stitches in her arm and it will not be possible for her to wear blouse. So it would be good for the next couple of weeks you could allow her to wear loose salwars. Stitches will be taken next week if there is no problem, but it will take another 10 days for wound to heal properly. The swelling on her face, keep ice packs regularly for 3-4 days. It will be fine. Other than that this is the list of medicines which she will have to take. Also ensure till the stitches are taken she has only sponge bath and no head bath "

Maheswari thanked the doctor. She called and told Vindhya to accompany Sreedhar to the market and get some loose white cotton salwars for Suman as doctor told because of her wound she can wear only that for some days.

Sreedhar looked at Suman when she finally came out dressed in salwar which was actually double her size. With duppatta as her pallu she looked the college student he had left behind around 8 months back, but in her eyes he saw not the girl, but a woman who has seen a lot of life.

As they were driving Sreedhar asked " Maa what did Papa tell"

" Sreedhar Papa is not happy. I tried speaking to him. But he has not said anything to my queries. He said let Suman be back home and then he will tell his decision. I don't think it is going to be favorable. So braze yourself he might ask you to apologize"

" Maa do you think it is right. Fearing these miscreants we cow down and what children will feel"

" Sreedhar I will try to talk to your father. But sometimes he is like that. When it comes to safety of family he prefers to play it safe than create issues"

" Sreedhar don't worry. Your Sudhir Bhaiyya will be back tonight. I am sure he will have some way out of this mess " told Vindhya.

Yes Sudhir Bhaiyya was his only hope at this point, thought Sreedhar.

When they reached home Renuka was waiting with aarti. She did the aarti of Suman and put a kala teeka near her ear. Aakash came and hugged her

" Chachi I am so happy you are fine. Those people are dirty. If they come again I will punch them"

" Aakash didn't go to school today Suman. He wanted to meet you" told Renu

" He was brave yesterday Bhabi. He understood that I indicated him to call his jethji or Sreedhar. I am happy he didn't panic"

" How would he, he was seeing Jhansi Rani fighting. By the way Suman you were studying warfare in your maayka or what " asked Vindhya jokingly and next minute she regretted as she saw a pain passing in Suman's face.

" Nothing like that bhabi. Sometimes you behave according to situation. I just wanted to protect Aakash and then protect myself. That's it. Bhabi need your help. See now atleast for 2-3 weeks I cannot do any work as my left hand is bandaged. Could you tell all the people who have given sarees it will be late. Will you apologize to them on my behalf "

Maheswari looked at Suman. How much dedicated she was to the task in hand. It was an unexpected injury. Still she wanted her customers to know the delay and also apologize.

" Suman I will do it, but as compensation you will have to paint and give me sarees " told Vindhya

" Arrey Suman what happen to your feet. There are very ugly burn marks " Renuka asked looking at her feet. Immediately everyone's eyes went to Suman's feet. Maheswari saw her feet were deeply scarred. Though it looked the wound was healed, the marks suggested it was a very deep burn wound. She wondered. If one feet understandable, some accident, but both feet with no marks any where else. Just concentrated on feet. "

Suman didn't know what to say . She had not expected it. In Saree her feet was never exposed. But in salwar they stood exposed.

" Suman we are asking you what happened. It looks very deep" asked Maheswari

" That Maa Bhabi hot oil has fallen on my feet accidently. That's it. It is healed , it's ok. " she stammered

Maheswari looked at the girl. It was clear to her the girl was lying. Those marks are not accident

" Maa I am feeling dizzy again can I go to my room " Suman asked before someone raises any further questions on it.

" Yes Beta go take rest, I will send your break fast to the room , Vindhya help her " told Maheswari

As Suman went upstairs Sreedhar saw his mother staring at Suman. He was not sure what his mother was thinking. But he knew for sure his mother had not believed her lie. Maheswari looked at Suman. Those burn marks are no accident Suman. I know that for sure. From what I have heard from you when your mother came, the way I have seen you shivering when serving your father, the burn marks in your feet, it all tells me only one thing child. Something really really bad has happened to you in your maayka which you don't want to share with anyone here. I just hope beta I can provide the balm to all your pains." She sighed.