The Doll

" Poornima don't come in front. Aakash, Adwaith, Nami don't come out till we call you. We really want to give surprise to Tilak Bhaiyya" told Sreedhar.

Renu had made Poornima dress up in a beautiful yellow green silk lehenga choli and she was wearing the ornaments Maheswari had bought for her.

" What will I say to Papa Sreedhar Chachu" asked Poornima.

" You don't say anything. Just listen to him" told Sreedhar.

"Hello everyone I am going to pick Tilak Bhaiyya from airport and when we reach here everything has to look normal. Is that clear" told Sudhir

" No issues Jethji, Tilak Jethji will not find anything amiss" told Suman.

Tilak looked at his brother as they were returning " So Sudhir how was verdict and how did Deep dan go"

" Fantastic bhaiyya. You wont believe it. We had a favourable verdict and there were many people who came to light the lamp. And come home and see Suman. She is finally looking a bit relaxed and chirpy" said Sudhir

" Poor girl. And frankly these traditions are always against woman. You know I really feel happy that Sreedhar is cutting through these useless traditions and you too Sudhir. I never knew you could bend rules like this" mused Tilak

They reached home and slowly night was falling. Rajasekhar Varma was in his armchair. Maheswari and Renu in kitchen. Sreedhar was reading newspaper. Vindhya and Suman were cutting veggies sitting at the dining table.

Seeing Tilak they all got up " Bhaiyya you are back." Sreedhar came and hugged him. Tilak went to his father and took his blessings. He could see a nervousness in Rajasekhar Varma. He didn't tell anything.

Renu came with water and gave it to him. " Beta just freshen up and come. By that time roti and sabji will be ready" told Maheswari

" Renu where are the kids. I was expecting they will be waiting for me. I have got gifts for them"

" Tilak kids are playing upstairs. I will call them. You just go and freshen up " told Renu

" But Renu they always wait for me.." tried to tell Tilak

" Tilak kids are growing up, now you go and freshen up " Renu told a little sternly. As he walked to the room they all giggled behind his back. Tilak was also smiling. Have your fun. He thought.

When he came back all except his father were standing in the hall together. The children were not yet seen. " Renu where are the kids " asked Tilak.

" Now Sreedhar moved forward. " Bhaiyya tell me what do you want first, bad news or good news"

" Bad news or good news what is this Sreedhar" asked Tilak

" Bhaiyya tell bad or good " repeated Sudhir.

" Ok fine, I will take bad first so that I can rejoice in good completely " told Tilak.

Suman and Vindhya moved from front and Tilak saw the garlanded photo of Anusree above Murali's. He looked at the photo, trying to suppress his tears. She lost her life because of his love. " And the good news is that this family has accepted Anu as its bahu to give her this honor" told Tilak

" If jethji believes that is the only good news then let it be that " told Vindhya.

" You mean good news is not this " asked Tilak

" Children" called Suman looking towards Sreedhar's room. " Papa" Tilak heard her voice. He had expected to hear her. But when he heard it, he felt like a big burden off his chest. His baby, his gudiya, she is there". He turned and saw Poornima with all the other kids holding her hands.

" Papa Poornima didi" told Aakash as he brought her forward. Poornima was also crying. Tilak kneeled in front of his daughter caressing her hair " Gudiya you have grown up so much. I am not sure whether I can call you Gudiya. The age at which I should have called you Gudiya you were not with me"

" Papa if you wish to call me Gudiya you can call me that. Everyone else calls me Poorni" told Poornima smiling.

He looked at his family. His brothers, mother, his wife, his sis-in-laws. They all were smiling. " Gudiya I know who would have convinced you to come here. It has to be my Maa, Renu and off course your Sreedhar Chachu right. You don't hate me right Gudiya"

" Papa I didn't hate you, but I was angry, very angry but then Sreedhar Chachu gave me a new perspective. Then Aakash , Adwaith and Nami they were behaving more mature than me irrespective of me being the eldest. So I am trying to understand you Papa"

" Gudiya your Maa with her sacrifice has given the most beautiful gift for your Papa. And Gudiya I owe that to your Maa. You know Gudiya your Maa did only one mistake in her life. That was falling in love with a man like your Papa who couldn't stand up to her when she needed him the most"

" Beta don't " told Maheswari

" Maa I know I have hurt you also and maybe in a way have insulted your sanskaars also when I let go of her mother and allowed Anu's character assassination in public. I owe it to Sudhir and Sreedhar for still considering me their brother as I very well know the Gurgaon incident and Sudhir's stand and Sreedhar, he publicly stood up for Suman. So hearing what happened to Anu their blood would have boiled. I am sure they would have forgiven me for your sake Maa and for their bhabi's sake and maybe their niece's sake. And I should be thankful to Vindhya and Suman also. Then of course look at my children who seems more mature than me in handling things"

" Bhaiyya now Poorni is here.Dont think too much about past " told Sudhir

" Exactly Bhaiyya. Don't again feel guilty" told Sreedhar.

" Sreedhar neither my guilt can go nor the past can close till I am able to give justice to Anu and that justice doesn't happen with a sorry" . He looked at his father who was averting his eyes from Tilak

He looked at his daughter " Gudiya your Maa has given me the gift of a lifetime, will you help your Papa to give her justice"

" Justice for Maa" Poorni's eyes twinkled for first time " But how and what I am supposed to do"

" Gudiya you know Sudhir chachu brings dolls for Nami. For every bday Nami gets a doll as gift from her father. I know you have gone past the age of playing with dolls. But your Papa has bought a special doll for you "

" Doll for her. Tilak you.." Renu gasped.

" I saw her yesterday in TV Renu. My daughter made me proud. I knew you were planning surprise, so I thought I will also plan a small surprise. Doll is part of the surprise" . Tilak took a Barbie doll dressed as lawyer and gave it to Poornima. Poornima looked at the doll and then her father's eyes.

Tilak got up and held his daughter close to him and started speaking looking directly at his father. " Gudiya what happened to your mother was not a mistake. It was a crime that a society which treats woman secondary to men did it. Wear the black coat Gudiya and become the voice of Anusree's who cry in the corridors of justice with no one to hear their plea. Make a Tilak Varma and Rajasekhar Varma stand as the accused and do their character assassination for daring to exploit a woman. And how to do that fight obviously both your chachu's can guide you well. When you are able to deliver justice atleast to one Anusree who is exploited by the system by punishing men like me and tarnishing their name and reputation, that day your Papa will feel justice done to your Maa." Rajasekhar Varma averted his eyes. Maheswari could feel the guilt in her husband's eyes as his son's piercing words hit him.

Tilak looked at his daughter " Gudiya will you do it " . Poornima hugged her father tightly. She had not expected this. She had not expected her Papa wanting to give justice to her Maa. Sreedhar Chachu was right. Tilak caressed his daughter's hair and saw her clutching the doll tightly.