Missing Sister

It was a special meeting convened for the students of Xth standard. The students sat attentively as the Headmistress spoke.

" Children you all know CBSE Xth board exams are only 2 months away. Today we have convened this meeting to give you all this form. We want all of you to fill up this form which will have your full name, your parents name and your DOB and get it signed by your parent or guardian. Please note that this is the information that will go into your Xth Certificate and it is very important that it is very accurate. As Xth Certificate will be asked as proof for many things going forward including getting a passport lest you decide to go abroad. Poornima and Vaishnav please give the forms to all students.

Poornima and Vaishnav distributed the forms as requested and then came back to their seats.

" Children now we would love to have meetings with your parents one to one. We want to discuss your academic performance with them. We need to tell them about the support the teachers have specially planned for the weak students and request them to send their wards for that. Also we need to inform them of the 2 model exams that are being planned. Your class teachers will give details on the date on which parents can meet them. We will start this activity next week and please request your parents atleast one of them to ensure that they attend this meeting. If you stay with your guardians please ensure your guardian attends it ". She thanked them.

As the students came out the tension was palpable among them. Board exams the first major step towards adult life. Vaishnav and Poornima was joined by their other 2 friends Rakesh and Maithreyi.

They all sat together for lunch. " Poornima yaar I cant believe it is just 2 months away" told Maithreyi

" Maithri we all knew it right. Now 2 models and 1 main. It is really hectic yaar " told Poornima

" I hope I can meet Nanu's expectations" told Vaishnav. They all looked at their friend Rakesh who was silent

" Arrey Rakesh what happened. Why so silent today " asked Maithri

" Nothing reminded of my sister. She had always dreamt of me passing Xth with flying colors. Not sure whether dadi will be able to come for the parent meeting " told Rakesh

They all went silent. Rakesh's sister Sudeepta was missing for 2 years. She was the sole bread winner of the family who worked in Rawat's textiles as a sales girl. After her disappearance Rakesh would have been pulled out of school. But his grandmother started working as a maid and Rakesh worked in petrol pumps in the evening to get by. Both Rakesh's parents had died in a car accident.

" Havent you checked with the police Rakesh" asked Vaishnav

" Every month my grandma goes and checks. What is the use Vaishnav. As long as that Rupinder Singh is there, nothing is going to happen. That missing FIR would have been kept in some file. I really don't know what condition my sister would be in "

" Rakesh do you remember anything about your sister the last time you saw her"

" Nothing Poornima. It was Diwali time and she was asked to work overnight. She decided to work overnight also as she will get bonus. Dadi was against it. But Didi insisted. She didn't come back the next day and we never saw her" told Rakesh.

" Let us hope we will get your sister Rakesh" told Maithri.

Sudeepta looked through the windows of her room. The colorful windows, nor her colorful dress could hide the pain in her eyes as she once again remembered that eventful night

" Sudeepta take this juice. You all will be very tired working extra today" told her manager. She thankfully took the juice, but when she woke up she found herself in a dark room. Then she heard voices " Yes we have got one. Aravind Setia wont be disappointed " . Some people came and dragged her. When she realized what was being done to her, she tried to run. But she couldn't succeed. That night she ended up as prey for Aravind Setia's lust. Then through bits and pieces she understood that Rawat's were also part of the human trafficking chain and benefitted from it. Aravind Setia had seen her once in the shop when he had come and had wanted her. And yes she was given to him. Then she was taken to Mewar and put in a house there and it became her life. Men used her to satisfy their lust. Threw money at her, jewellery at her if they were pleased.

" Sudeepta " she heard the now familiar voice. Sudeepta had lost the ability to feel. She turned and opened the door. Outside the lady in charge stood with Sathish Kausik. Sudeepta knew him. The district collector of Mewar. He chose girls in the house at will. The protector of the innocents helped the traditionalists and moral police in exploiting them. She loathed the man who gave protection to child marriages, protected rapists , allowed sex determination clinics to flourish and what not. There was not a day she wished, she should mix something in his drink. But she restrained. She hoped for a time. Time to give back to everyone who destroyed her life including the ability to have a child. Before bringing her to the house the people who kidnapped her did a surgery to tie both her fallopian tubes so that she can never conceive. Sudeepta smiled asking Satish to enter, looked at the lady who nodded at her and she closed the door.

Ad��y���f