The Colors

Suman came to her room after completing her work in the terrace. The room looked odd. None of her suitcases were there. She opened her almirah. All the white sarees and blouses also have disappeared. Puzzled she went down. There Maheswari, Vindhya and Renu were sitting. In midst of them were the cotton sarees taken by her as well as the zari border sarees Vindhya had taken. Also she saw some jewellery boxes.

Her suitcases were kept on the side. Seeing her Maheswari told " Suman does this suitcase of yours have any books, certificates or any other documents you need"

" No Maa I have taken all books, dance notes, my matriculation certificate, PU certificate from the suitcase. It only has some dresses including I guess my marriage dress". Maheswari indicated Suman to sit.

" Suman for a woman her marriage dress, and the jewellery she wore for the marriage holds a special place in her life. It is part of a beautiful memory. I still have my marriage dress with me even after 41 years of marriage. And same will be with Renu and Vindhya too. But in your case beta tomorrow there is going to be a new beginning in your life Suman. And I do not want anything of your things related to your marriage in this house. I have lost my son Suman. And I do not want to reminded again and again when he died. So beta I have decided to give all your sarees to some 2-3 seva sadhans. And your jewellery I will have them with me now. But I wont allow you to wear anything of those beta. I do not want you to wear anything of those jewellery again. You can call it a Maa's selfishness. I know there might be some ancestral pieces from your mother. When she comes I will ask her to take it back. Never in future I can allow you to wear that jewellery Suman. Hope you will be able to forgive your Maa for this"

" Maa I don't even know what kind of sarees are there in it or what type of jewellery I wore. I don't even remember my wedding dress to be frank. For you it is a sad memory. For me their existence and non-existence doesn't make any difference. If you want give those sarees for charity I do not have any issues. Nor do I have any issues in you keeping my jewellery with you" told Suman.

" Accha beta now look which saree you want to wear tomorrow. I have asked Renu to take couple of sarees from what you got and 1 from what Vindhya got. I will also be taking couple of cotton sarees. But you select first which one you want to wear tomorrow"

" Maa you and Renu Bhabi take. I will select after that " told Suman

" No Suman. You will have a personal preference for what to wear tomorrow. If we end up choosing any of those then beta you will not mind, but I don't want that to happen. So you chose. It is after a long time colors are coming to you"

Suman looked at the sarees. The light yellow with green border and pale blue with rose embroidery. They were Sreedhar's selection. Which one she will wear and she wanted to keep both of them to herself. " Vindhya Bhabi which should I wear this light yellow or pale blue" .

" Suman yellow will look good on you" told Vindhya

" No Suman that blue with rose" told Renu

Suman turned to Maheswari " Maa what do you feel" . " I will go with Renu" told Maheswari. Suman smiled. Pale blue was her choice too. The color of her salwar when she had questioned about Jodi dance selection. The color with which he had first seen her"

Maheswari took that saree and kept apart. Renu selected couple of sarees and Maheswari too selected couple of sarees. Both of them didn't take yellow with green border. Now Maheswari opened the jewellery boxes.

Poornima was packing her bags. Sreedhar had told her he will take all her bags home that day evening. So after Deep Dan in the temple next day she can come home. Vaishnav had come to their home and he was helping her.

" Vaishu what do you feel. I have taken the right decision naa"

" Poorni of course you have taken the right decision. Your Papa has been waiting all these years to shower his love on you. You are going to get Maa, 2 brothers and a sister. And of course a big loving family. When God gives us something Poorni we have to accept it" told Vaishu

" Vaishu you feel sad that your family doesn't care for you"

" Poorni I have a family for namesake. Except for Sarangi didi even the rakhi that is tied in my hand is namesake. Only Sarangi didi comes without fail every year to tie rakhi even when bade papa and badi maa doesn't like it. My maternal cousins do not have much interest in tying rakhi for me as I cant give expensive gifts naa, but they do it just because it is a ritual. But Aakash and Adwaith are not like that Poorni. They will value your Rakhi and I know you will value them than the gifts they can bring.Nami will value her elder sister. Sometimes you have family, but even then you are alone. So you are lucky to get a family Poorni.

Poornima smiled as she packed the last suit case and Vaishnav helped her carry her luggage to the front room.

" This set is for Poornima" told Maheswari. It was a beautiful necklace, a pair of bangles and a earring. Suman and Vindhya admired it. It was beautiful. " Vindhya take this pair of earrings this is for Nami. Her birthday is coming right and this is for you " Vindhya looked at the long chain her MIL gave her. Her eyes sparkled. " Renu this is for you" told Maheswari giving her also a long chain.

" Now Suman look this" . She gave Suman three jewellery boxes. Suman looked astonished.

" Maa what is this " as she found in each box there was a light necklace, a pair of light weight bangles and a light weight earring

" Suman when I said I wont allow you to wear your old jewellery, I meant I will get you slowly new jewellery equivalent to whatever your maayka has given you by selling those jewellery except the ancestral pieces. Now look beta which set you will wear tomorrow"

Suman turned at Vindhya and Vindhya helped her chose a set. Maheswari kept that aside. " Suman take the remaining sarees and jewellery and keep it with you. Your saree which you are going to wear tomorrow and the jewellery I will keep in front of Mata Gowri. Will give you after tomorrow's morning pooja. And beta from tomorrow don't keep your forehead blank. Wear a kajal bindi and always tie your hair. Don't let it lose. Let me call your mother. She can come if she wants to come"

Suamn nodded tears flowing from her eyes. Maheswari wiped her tears and patted her cheeks. As she got up to call Bhavani Suman along with Vindhya and Renu started cleaning the front room taking the sarees and other things to their respective rooms.

Bhavani took the phone " Maheswariji good evening. What made you call "

" Bhavaniji you know tomorrow is deep dan in temple. Suman is going and I have asked her to wear color sarees from here on with minimal jewellery. If you would like to join in tomorrow's deep dan you are most welcome"

" Maheswariji I do not know how to express my gratitude to you and your family. I am not sure whether we can come. But will check with my husband and let you know"

Virender was observing his wife. She was happy. As she kept the phone he wanted to tell her they cannot go. He didn't wanted to go . But before he could tell anything Devika came in

" Chachi Suman is going for Deep Dan tomorrow.I am so happy for her Chachi"

" Devika you want to go. Do one thing. You go with kids. I have some money with me. Will give you"

" If she goes for roaming who will do the work here" came one of Devika's sis-in-law

" And Bhavani when have you started taking decisions in this house" came Bhavani's MIL

" Maa phone has come from Suman's sasural inviting us for the deep dan ceremony. Do you want me to insult my daughter's sasural. Do you want people to know Rajput family declined the invitation from their beti's sasural. How will it look. And the invitation was for me from Maheswariji. So I am asking Devika to go. Coming to work. I am here right. It doesn't matter to you which slave works. So let her go. Come Devika" Bhavani walked with Devika in a huff as her audience stood mute.