Investigations

CHAPTER 27

Ann's POV

*ring ring*

I rolled over in bed, picking up the phone.

Even though it was late afternoon, I was sleeping to prepare for my upcoming night shift.

"Hello?" I answered, confused at who could be calling me.

"Andrea? It's Harry. Get to the Cheesecake Factory right now. It's Jen, s-she's... gone." A panicked Harry spoke on the other line.

I was in a daze. What did he mean gone?

Without even thinking, I hung up the phone, threw on some clothes and was in my car on the way to work.

My thoughts were clouded the whole ride there.

What had happened? Where's Jen? Is she okay? What's going on?

When I walked in, I saw Harry looking very perplexed. His hair was sticking up from running his hands through it so much.

His eyes were bloodshot and cheeks were pure red and tear stained.

I slowly walked over to him, putting my hand on his shoulder.

But it was when he looked up and his eyes locked with mine that I really knew that this was totally serious.

Harry's POV

I sat in Mrs. Josie's office, Andrea across from me.

F*ck this. How could I wait for the police to get here when my baby was missing?

So I decided to do some questioning myself.

"When was the last time you spoke to her?" I asked, trying to keep from bursting into tears again.

Ann tapped her fingers on the desk. "Well, I spoke to her on the phone yesterday when she was on her lunch break. We were talking about how dull work was without each other."

I nodded slowly, taking this in.

"Is there anyone who has any reason to dislike her at work?" I asked next.

She took a few minutes for this one, going through the list of employees in her head.

"Not that I know of." She finally answered.

"Are you positive?" I rose an eyebrow, praying for some kind of clue to find out who took her.

She nodded. "Yeah, everyone loves her here."

"I see." I muttered to myself.

Of course everyone loved Jen, what is there not to love?

"Do you have any idea who could have done this?" I asked desperately.

Her eyes filled with sympathy. "Harry, honey, I'm as scared as you are. If I knew anything, you know I would tell you." She said, stroking my arm gently.

"P-please." I whimpered.

I knew she must have been taken aback at my vulnerable state because she quietly stood up to leave.

But before exiting, she turned around. "There is one person who may be able to help you out though."

My head lifted and my eyes suddenly lit up. "Who is it?"

She breathed out heavily. "Andy is her work partner. He was with her today and he might know something. But I honestly don't know Harry." She whispered before exiting.

I quickly stood up and followed her out, searching for Mrs. Josie. She would know where this Andy kid was.

Not long after, I found her hobbling around the kitchen.