Side Story- Newt Scamander

This is just a little side story since I just saw Fantastic Beasts and Where To Find Them and I couldn't help but think about it after finishing the movie. Although I doubt I'd actually write this as a full story with many chapters. -AN

There was always this strange boy in school. A Hufflepuff boy named Newt, he didn't really fit in that well and was eventually expelled for releasing a pack of wild beasts, the theory was that he was attempting to kill our transfiguration teacher. Although I wouldn't believe that, I agree that unlike other students he was considered a loner having later befriended Leta Lestrange, but I knew better than that because I was with him.

"Newt what are you doing?" I asked looking in the broom closet.

"Huh? No-nothing why do you ask?" He asks closing a trunk that shook violently.

"You would probably do well with using an expansion spell and making your beasts feel more are home." I giggle.

"That's not a bad idea!" He shouts jumping up off of his trunk.

"Watch it!" I shout jumping onto his trunk. "Be careful with your creatures." I sighed

"Thanks." He smiled with a bit of a blush.

"Honestly, we don't know enough about these creatures to know what would happen. I can understand why people fear them."

"Don't say that they're just misunderstood."

"Whatever," I say taking the lock and locking it up.

"I can tell you some stuff about them" He smiled brightly.

"I'm not sure Newt. I have quidditch practice and... Well, I don't know how my team would feel about a Gryffindor being friends with a Hufflepuff who is known to be friends with a Slytherin." I say rubbing my neck.

"Well, I'm sure we could make it work." He smiled.

Although I had thought that back then I'm happy I made time for him.

"Newt" I whispered looking around the back of the library. "Newt where are you?"

"Over here." He whispered a pile of books in front of him.

"What are you researching?" I asked picking one of them up. "More things about beasts?"

"Yup." He smiled.

"Newt I found another bo- Oh hi there" Leta Lestrange was standing there with a big book.

"Hi, Leta." I forced a smile.

"What do you want? Why are you even here?" She said looking a bit irritated.

"Leta don't be so rude, I invited her to hang out." He explained looking at her.

That was the first time the 3 of us attempted to hang out.

"I'm pretty sure Leta doesn't like me," I confessed looking at the night sky next to Newt.

"She's my best friend and you're my new friend. It's probably just that she doesn't like that I'm splitting my time more."

"Hey, Newt?"

"Yeah?"

"I'm sorry." I confessed "I know I'm a Gryffindor but don't feel very brave. I should be able to proudly say you're my friend but I'm afraid."

"That's alright, no one really wants to be my friend. I love beasts too much for normal people to accept me." He smiled sadly at the full moon.

"It's nice that you have such an amazing passion." I smiled at him "I'm sure if I found something I loved as much as you do I'd gladly pursue it the way you pursue your love for beasts."

"Thanks. You're a pretty good friend." He smiled brightly.

"You're not too bad yourself" I laugh.

It wasn't too long after that when his pets got loose.

"Did you hear?" Wood (not Oliver lol) asked me as I pulled out my transfiguration homework.

"Hear what?" I asked confused

"Newt let his beast out to attack the school"

"What? When?" Standing up at the news.

"Wow, there speedy calm down. I heard that he attacked with his beast earlier after classes had ended for the day." He explained causing me to run out of the common room.

"Professor!" I shouted at the first one I saw. "Professor Dumbledore!" I stop trying to catch my breath. "Professor you have to stop them from expelling Newt! He's innocent I swear! I can't testify but it's the truth! Newt was with me yesterday after class had ended we were skipping stones at the black lake. You can't let them-"

"I know he's innocent." He explained cutting me off.

"What?"

"I know that Mr. Scamander is innocent but my word is not strong enough to appeal to the council. His fate has already been sealed. Unfortunately, there's nothing left that we can do about it."

Again I hope you guys enjoyed this little Side story that was inspired after watching Fantastic Beasts and Where To Find Them. I'm not sure I'd write more or maybe I would and write about the future but seeing as I'm not completely sure about how I'd tell this story I don't think I will until the next movie -AN