(City Of Ashes) Chapter Nine: New Beginnings

It had been a while since Valentine had told the truth to his children, it didn't affect Clary as much as it did for Skylar who moved out of The Institute right after to avoid seeing Jace and stayed in the Hunter Moon's office most of her time with Luke. He needed to keep an eye on her, Jocelyn has told him before how reckless Skylar could be when she lost control of her life.

Isabelle seen Skylar sometimes and talked to her on the phone all the time, as well as for Alec. Clary had decided to give Simon a chance and saw Jace sometimes but when she did he was rude and cold to her. It was clear neither of them were taking this easy.

Skylar stared at the food Luke had brought her, she laid back down on the couch and pulled the blanket over her head. She thought starving herself would make her feel pain or anything, all she felt was sadness, emptiness in her heart. What did Jace do to her? "Are you going to eat?" Luke asked, he had to find a way to force her to eat or else he would have failed Jocelyn by giving up on her daughter so easily.

"No." Before Luke can argue with her, he heard some loud noise coming from the bar. He walked out for a second, Skylar closed her eyes and all she could see was Jace and her over and over again. It was on replay in her mind for days now, the kisses, the embraces, the smiles and the laughter. She began to sob quietly, it hurt like hell.

"Who's here?" Skylar opened her eyes hearing Jace's voice, before she knew it he had pulled the blanket off Skylar and froze. She looked pale, ill, her once bright blue eyes were now darker. "Skylar."

Skylar sat up slowly and looked at Luke, she was fuming how could he let Jace in here after what happened. "I had no choice, he was picking fights with my Pack. I thought maybe you two should talk."

"There is nothing to talk about." Skylar said and hugged herself tightly. Jace sat down beside her and cleared his throat.

"Why did you leave?" He asked, Jace knew they couldn't be together but he would at least wanted to see her at The Institute everyday.

"I-I needed time away, it's not everyday you learn your father is alive." Skylar said and avoided eye contact, in the corner of her eye Clary walked into the office.

"What happened?" She asked Jace

"My adoptive mother tosses me out of the house with instructions never to darken her door again." Jace responded and stared at the floor.

"Did Maryse say why she was exiling you, so to speak?"

"She doesn't believe that I thought I was Michael Wayland's son. She accused me of being init with Valentine all along—saying I helped him get away with the Mortal Cup. She also believes Skylar was involved."

"Me? I am the last person she shouldn't trust, I hate that man."

"Then why didn't you kill him?" Jace asked looking over at her, he was right. Why didn't she stab him right in the heart and end it all? "You still have love for our father."

"Why didn't you? I stepped away when Luke instructed me too but you stood there as if you were going to kill him. I guess he was right, the twins are softhearted." Skylar said

"You two don't look alike.." Clary pointed out, Jace had golden eyes and locks, while Skylar had bright blue eyes and normal blonde hair. She was short, and he was tall, he was egoistic and Skylar barely said a word about loving herself as much as he did. "Or act the same."

"Clary not every set of twins are alike, each one have their differences."

"Though we both happen to get reckless at times like this." Jace said

"That is true, and I can't let you ruin your life Jace. We're taking you back to The Institute." Skylar said "And we're clearing our names, I will be damned if the Clave tries to tear apart our reputation that we worked so hard to build." For a second there she seemed like herself, Jace and Clary saw how her eyes had cleared up.

~

"Don't tell me you have already called The Inquisitor?" Luke asked, Maryse shook her head quickly and sighed.

"I didn't! Did you think the Clave wouldn't involve itself in this wild tale of Forsaken warriors and Portals and staged deaths? After what Hodge did? We're all under investigation now, thanks to Valentine, The Inquisitor could put Jace in prison. She could strip his Marks. I thought it would be better..."

"And me?" Skylar asked

"Your punish may be worse. They can say you were brainwashed due to the abuse. When you first got here you were still having trouble adjusting to this life" Skylar sighed and ran her fingers through her hair.

"Leave her out of this, Skylar is a victim." Jace said defending her, Maryse sighed.

"I can't do anything The Clave see you two as possible threats."

"We're staying." Skylar said "Sometimes The Clave is wrong."