(City of Heavenly Fire) Chapter Forty-One: Prologue

The day Mark Blackthorn was taken away was possibly the worse day Bella had ever faced, her heart ached every time she had thought about it. The day had started like every other, bright and beautiful as it usually was in L.A with warm weather. The smell of the sea was a refreshing smell one that many enjoyed, and how bright blue it was brought a smile onto Bella's lips. Living with the Blackthorns was chaotic, she wasn't going to lie about it but loved it.

She never thought that she would love the chaos but she truly did, she loved hearing the loud talking and laughing..and how everyone was happy..they have always seemed happy in her eyes. Bella had never gotten the chance to meet her parents, sadly they were assumed dead since there was no sign of them. She had been left on the front steps, Andrew had told her stories about her parents that she knew were fake. 

She walked into the training, her second favorite room...her first one being the library. She thought studying and learning was quite enjoyable and didn't mind it at all. She was currently fluent in three languages due to her extra time in the library learning and studying 24/7. She hummed softly as she approached Mark (Her bestfriend) speaking to his little brother Julian.  "Don't you think 'Mark' is kind of a weird name for a Shadowhunter? I mean, if you really think about it. It's confusing. 'Put aMark on me, Mark." Julian pointed out as he laid on the floor playing with his stele between his fingers while Mark was sitting at the window reading a book. Bella had walked over and taken a seat beside him, pulling the book away from his face and looking over at it, wondering what he was reading. Mark gave her a smile before looking over and glaring down at his brother at what he had just said. 

"If it bothers you, you can call me bymy full name," Mark replied bluntly not happy with what was being said.

 "Mark Antony Blackthorn? It takes a long time to say. Whatif we got attacked by a demon? By the time I was halfway through saying your name,you'd be dead." Julian pointed out as he watched the two.

"In this situation are you saving my life?" Mark asked. "Getting ahead of yourself, don'tyou think, pipsqueak?"

"It could happen." Julian mumbled as he slowly sat up and shot his brother a quick glare.

"Watch out!" Someone shouted, Emma had ducked as a wooden-tipped blade had hit Mark on the leg. The blonde had handed the book to Bella who knew what was bound to happen now since he was the second in charge and without Helen...well the kids couldn't run to her. Mark frowned as he stood up rather quickly.

"Tiberius, do not throw knives at me." Mark scowled as Livvy walked in between her twin and her half older brother. 

"He did not mean too." Livvy said as Bella looked up from the book in her hands and shook her head.

"He did that on purpose, he knew exactly what he was doing. He is mad about the bees." Bella hummed as Ty nodded and looked up at his older brother. "A bee stung me you know."

"She's right, I had to get rid of those bees..." Mark mumbled the back of his neck, everything was perfect and amazing. The normal squabble between siblings, which made the others laugh. Bella put the book down on her lap and watched them smiling, even though she didn't have her parents....she had them and that was all that mattered to her.

Everything had turned ugly in a blink of an eye...Bella didn't understand any of it..it hurt her and made her hear ache every time as she tried to think about it. Tried to remember...she had been knocked out and when waking up, all she felt a hand holding onto her hand. "Bella? Please wake up...M-Mark's gone a-and A-Andrew's dead..." Emma whispered as she was shaken up a bit by all of this, she had sent the twins to the room with Dru..and baby Tavvy. "W-We need you......." She added, the raven haired shadowhunter opened her eyes a bit wider and inhaled deeply.

"H-He's gone..." Bella whispered to herself, blinking at the realization that Mark was no longer there...he was gone..and they didn't know where he was..