(City Of Ashes) Chapter Ten: Imogen Herondale

Skylar walked into the library seeing Jace and an older lady standing in front of him with a cold look. "Skylnn, you've decided to join." Imogen said, Skylar stood beside Jace and glanced at him. "You have nothing to say?" She asked, Skylar stayed silent not having anything to say. Maryse watched carefully and gulped. 

"My name is Jace," he said. "Not boy. Jace Wayland." 

"You have no right to the name of Wayland," she said. "You are Jonathan Morgenstern. To  claim the name of Wayland makes you a liar. Just like your father."

"Actually," said Jace, "I prefer to think that I'm a liar in a way that's uniquely my own." He crossed his arms, Imogen took a step closer trying to make him fear her.

"You are intolerant of authority, just as your father was. Like the angel whose name you both bear." She grabbed his chin and let her nails dig into his skin. "Lucifer was rewarded for his rebellion when God cast him into the pits of hell. If you defy my authority, I can promise that you will envy him his fate." She pulled away, blood slowly traveled down his chin. "And you," Imogen stepped closer to Skylar staring her down. "Are as much as a nuisance as your brother, do you hear me?"

"Don't test me." Skylar said, her white gem necklace turned black for a second it was her rage and Seraphina's rage. "I can be just as ruthless as the man who tortured me." She said, Imogen stepped back in shock.

"Are you threatening me?" 

"I think it's fair, you did threat my b-brother. Now you see where we both stand, I behind Jace and you behind The Clave but who will win?" This was a whole new side of Skylar, Maryse stood back and watched carefully. 

"I like you Skylnn, brave and a smart girl but family isn't always the best choice."

"It's Skylar, not girl or Skylnn only family calls me that."

"Watch your tone child." Imogen moved closely ready to grab her chin as she did to Jace but was stopped. Jace grabbed her wrist and let it go slowly not wanting to hurt her. 

"You can hit me, you can beat me, verbally abuse me but you will not touch her."

"Inquisitor Herondale. He's agreed to a trial by the Sword. You can find out whether he's telling the truth." Maryse said hoping to defuse the situation, Imogen nodded.

"About his father? Yes. I know I can. You know, Maryse, the Clave is not pleased with you. You and Robert are the guardians of the Institute. You're just lucky your record over the years has been relatively clean. Few demonic disturbances until recently, and everything's been quiet the past few days. No reports, even from Idris, so the Clave is feeling lenient. We have sometimes wondered if you'd actually rescinded your allegiance to Valentine. As it is, he set a trap for you and you fell right into it. One might think you'd know better."

"There was no trap. My father knew the Lightwoods would raise me if they thought I was Michael Wayland's son. That's all."

 "Do you know about the cuckoo bird, Jonathan Morgenstern?" Imogen asked, Skylar cringed when she had called him by his full name. It reminded her of the heartache she was unable to get over. "You see, cuckoos are parasites. They lay their eggs in other birds' nests. When the egg hatches, the baby cuckoo pushes the other baby birds out of the nest.The poor parent birds work themselves to death trying to find enough food to feed the enormous cuckoo child who has murdered their babies and taken their places." 

"Enormous?" said Jace.

"Did you just call me fat?" 

"It was an analogy."

"I am not fat." 

"And I," said Maryse, "don't want your pity, Imogen. I refuse to believe the Clave will punish either myself or my husband for choosing to bring up the son of a dead friend."

"We never meant to bring harm to The Lightwoods, I've worked hard, and trained hard—say whatever you want about my father, but he made a Shadowhunter out of me. I've earned my place here." 

"Don't defend your father to me," the Inquisitor said. "I knew him. He was—is—the vilest of men."

"That word describes him well." Skylar admitted and looked down at the floor, she could remember that horrifying nights so vividly.

"I do not condone domestic abuse, have you showed your brother your scars?"

"Inquisitor." those files were kept private, you cannot openly speak of such personal matter." Maryse said quickly, unbelievable this women had brought up something so personal.

"Her brother should know the truth."

"The truth is, I will not allow you to bring up something so vile without her consent." Skylar looked at Maryse who seemed worked up. "Skylar, did she ask you for permission?"

"No."

"I thought so, Inquisitor." Herondale I will not stand here and let you take advantage of my children." Jace froze, Maryse had called them her children even through everything she still considered them as her children.

"These children are not yours, they belong to Valentine."

"They may not be mine by blood but I did raise them as my own." Skylar and Jace watched Maryse and Imogen go back and forth.

"Skye, leave." Jace said, he didn't want Maryse getting in trouble for protecting them. "Please." He begged, Skylar turned around and walked out of the library. 

~

Clary and Simon walked upstairs, Luke had explained that Skylar has been getting by the day. The pair decided to buy some food and bring some movies for them to watch. Clary opened Skylar's room and walked inside with Simon following her. Isabelle sat on the bed as Skylar laid on the bed with her fave buried into her pillow. "Is she okay?" Simon asked, Isabelle shrugged.

"She's been like that for a while now."

"Did you check to make sure she's breathing?" Clary asked

"I'm alive." Skylar said pulling away from the pillow, she sat up and sighed. "What's going on?" She asked, as soon as she said that Alec walked into her room also and walked over to the bed.

"We're are here to help you." He said, Clary put down the large pizza box and bags filled with drinks and treats. Simon walked over to her TV and looked through the pile of movies he brought for them to watch.

"I don't need help." Skylar said, Isabelle chuckled and sighed. Max walked into Skylar's room with bunch of books, he smiled and rushes over to everyone.

"You need all the help you can get." Isabelle said and helped Max with the books, Simon put on a movie as Clary handed out plates to everyone and drinks. Skylar was in emotional wreck, she felt her eyes start to water up again but it wasn't because she was sad...it was because she was happy that she had some amazing friends.