(City Of Glass) Chapter Eighteen: The Angel

"Jace wouldn't help me." Clary said and crossed her arm, Magnus sighed. After freezing Sebastian, Magnus was able to tell her about what he had found out and how they can help Jocelyn.  It had been a few days since Skylar had left for New York, no one but Magnus knew where she was and how she was doing.

"No but he would help Skylar."

"He hates her."

"No matter what, he will love her." Magnus said "I sent a message to her, she is all the way in New York staying with my friend."

"Okay, will she come?" Clary asked, after she heard about what had gone down.

"Of course I would." Clary turned around and saw her sister, her hair was cut short wearing normal shadowhunter gear. "Mother needs our help." She smiled at Clary.

"Y-You cut your hair?"

"I did." Skylar said and smiled, Clary walked over and hugged her older sister tightly. 

"Okay, so Skylar and Jace get the book then what?"

"Then give it to me, it's one of the most powerful spell books in the world."

"And we will give it to him." said Skylar, Magnus led the girls back outside where the frozen Sebastian stood.  Magnus snapped his fingers and Sebastian finished his sentence. 

"How did you get here?" Sebastian asked pointing at Skylar.

"I followed you two here, though you didn't see me until now." Skylar lied, Clary held back laughter realizing how good of a liar she had been all this time. "Let's go love birds." Skylar shooed them away, Sebastian and Clary began to walk away with her following. Skylar looked back at Magnus who winked at her and waved goodbye.

~

Skylar opened Amatis house door and glanced at Clary. "So poor Sebastian doesn't have a chance?" She watched the poor boy get rejected by Clary, it made her feel bad for him.

"No, it's just weird and I think it's you he likes. He kept giving you a look once in awhile." 

"He seems familiar." Skylar admitted, every time she looked at Sebastian all she could think of was someone that she knew. 

"Who?"

"I wish  I knew." She said "And I am not interested either, he's all yours."

"Skylar." She jumped and saw Jace leaning against the wall. "Isabelle, was right."

"Surprised to see you here." Skylar said "Why are you here?"

"To find you and apologize." Jace said and walked over to his sisters, Clary rolled her eyes and crossed her arms.

"We need to go home and maybe I'll hear you out." Skylar said

"Home? New York?"

"Where it all began-"

"Wayland Manor." Jace finished for her, Skylar nodded and pulled out her stele. 

"Be careful." Clary said to them, Skylar and Jace exchanged looks and nodded before leaving through the portal she had created.

~

It was a rough landing, Skylar hit the floor and groaned feeling her stele poking her. "Shit." She mumbled, Jace walked over and pulled her onto her feet. "Thank you."

"I like what you did to your hair." He said and stroked a piece of her hair behind her ear. "It's cute."

"Can we go?" Skylar asked breaking away from him. "We need to find the library."

"Have you ever seen the cook book?"

"No, I wasn't allowed in the library." Jace led her towards the library. She stood at the doorway while Jace went to find the book. He walked back over holding the book. "That's how he kept us separated."

"Found it," Jace looked through the book and up at her. "Can you read Greek?"

"Barely, but this is for Magnus anyway." Skylar grabbed the book and opened it out of curiosity. She scanned it hoping to somewhat find a spell to help Seraphina. 

"The cellar, I never knew it existed." Jace said trying to start a conversation with her.

"Oh it does," Skylar closed the spell book and looked up at him. " Actually I want to see if anything has changed."

"Are you sure?"

"Well as long as the whip isn't there, we're okay." Skylar showed Jace down to the cellar that made her childhood a living nightmare. Jace pulled out his witchlight, the two saw bones everywhere and old blood stains. "I bet these are mine." Skylar said and frowned.

"I doubt it is." Skylar froze seeing a hanging cloth, she looked back at Jace who shrugged. He pulled out his blade and walked over to it slowly, Skylar followed him with her blade in hand tightly. Skylar's eyes widened when she realized what it was an angel, her necklace glowed brightly and pulsed.

"Ithuriel." Seraphina said out loud, Jace looked at Skylar and backed away not knowing what was going on.  

"What the hell was that?" Jace asked

"You know him?" Skylar asked ignoring Jace. 

"He was my lover before I was captured." Seraphina admitted, Skylar sighed and looked at Jace.

"I need to free him." Jace said and pulled out his blade. "Ithuriel." He whispered, the blade lit up. Skylar watched the way Jace stared at the angel, it was as if they were communicating in their own way. He saw things that Seraphina prevented Skylar from seeing.  

"Go ahead, Jonathan." Seraphina said, Skylar walked over and pulled out her stele creating runes to release the angel. Ithuriel reached for the blade and held it, his face directed at Skylar's direction. Her necklace stopped glowing and pulsing, they watched as Ithuriel stabbed the blade into him. He was consumed by bright flames, Jace grabbed Skylar's arm tightly and led her out of the cellar. 

"W-What's going on?" Skylar asked, she can hear the stairs collapsing behind them as they ran. 

"The angel's life is tied to the Manor, he dies, it comes down." He shouted, they ran out and threw themselves far from the Manor. Skylar stared up at Jace who had fallen on her, he stood up and helped her up. 

"He's free." Skylar said and cleaned the spell book. "We got the book."

"I have demon blood." He said

"What are you talking about?" Skylar asked

"Didn't you see what I saw? I-I've always been dark, that explains so much of my life."

"Really? That's what you think?"

"Don't you remember? How I went off on you Skye, I am a monster." Jace said, "That's why I feel the way I do about you.  How badly I want you," Skylar stood there silently not knowing what to say to him. "I will always want you." He moved closer to her, Skylar put her hand on his chest stopping him from coming to close.

"Jace, I am not sure if I can expose myself to this again. It hurts, like hell because I will always want you too." Skylar said softly. "I know that you didn't mean those things but that doesn't mean they didn't hurt me." 

"I thought it was for the best for us.." Jace pushed her hand down, and walked closer to her. He pressed his lips against hers, Skylar squeezed the book tightly in her hand. She felt a burning sensation on her chest, Jace kept going ignoring the sensation burning his chest. "Are we really going to do this here?" He asked in a whisper. 

"We can't Jace..." Skylar pulled away and cleared her throat. "We never can...."