Death's Tower (not a chapter)

This isnt a chapter but i will write one straight after i publish this, promise.
So basically, there is a gothic horror competition going on at my school and im competing (obviously).  Not how i put horror in bold. That means it will be a tiny bit scary! This is my first horror story ever though so i dunno how scary. Anyways, I still have a lot of time for improvement (Dec. 30th) but im all out of ideas, bearing in mind this has to be 500 words or under and currently it's 500 on the dot. Basically im asking for you guys' suggestions to make an improvement. Here is the story so far:

\|\|\|\|\|\|\|\|\|\|\|\|\|\|\|\|\|\|\|\|\|\|\|\|\|\|\|\|\|\|\|\|\|\|\|\|\|\|

The crooked tower reached to the sky like a broken finger, inside it a monster laid in wait...

As Rudey Thorley Sydney walked towards it, his heart began racing.
Thump.
Thump.
Thump.
Why was he scared? Rudey glanced up at the top. He thought he could make out a slight human figure up at the top. He blinked and it was gone. It was just his vision playing up, he told himself, trying to convince himself it wasn't true. He begged his mind to think it wasn't true; there was nothing up there, but there it was again. A clear human figure, but it didn't exactly have an outline? Thats right! It was like a shadow. Wait, what?
Thump.
Thump.
Thump.
Panic fluttered in his stomach as Rudey saw red eyes glare at him through the black cloud of pure shadow. Then it grinned.

He yelled and ran for his life - into the tower. There was a golden chandelier dangling from the roof, but it only provided a very small amount of light; so much that you could only just see the outlines of everything. Rudey stared around the room in terror, only to hear footsteps on the floor above him.
Thump.
Tap.
Thump.
Tap.
Thump.
Tap.
He wanted oh so much to scream - instead he looked around for a place to hide. Fear bubbled up even more, as he realised the only place to hide was under the couch. His stomach flipped and he felt like he was going to puke. The footsteps were getting closer and more mortifying with every second.
Thump-tap.
Thump-tap.

Rudey had no choice. He slipped, graceless, under the couch and he got his head stuck. He hissed in pain and winced as the footsteps came to a sudden stop and the door creaked open.
Thump.
Thump.
Thump.
He felt something behind him. He didn't dare look. No. If he were a weird spirit creature, he would not be behind him right now. He would be-
WhaT ArE YOu TAlkInG AbOUt?
Said a maniacal voice in his head. What the heck?
Thump-thump.
thump-thump.
Beads of sweat rolled down his head as he started to cry as quietly as he could.
YoU'Re GoINg tO DiE, HuH? No, I'D rAthER kEEp tHis MeAT. it lOOkS FreSH. YumMy, EveN.
Thump
thump
thump.

Rudey finally decided to look behind him. On top of him, the monster grinned maliciously. What Rudey saw was the most terrifying thing he'd ever seen (aside from the monster). He took a deep breath.
Thump
thump
thump
thump.
He turned his head an inch, keeping his eyes on the floor where he could see no feet, but still hear them tip-tapping away. He glanced over behind him to see an arm. Half of it looked like it had been eaten away by the shadows. It was severed into pieces. He gulped and turned his gaze back around. There it was, looking him right in the face.
Thump
thum-

HeHehEHeHEH.