3. The One and Only

Original Stats:
1.4K Views. 31 Votes. 0 Comments.

━━━━━━━━━

The One and Only

━━━━━━━━━

Jack rolled over in his bed for the tenth time that night. It was only ten o' clock, though. It was no wonder he couldn't sleep. He couldn't seem to get Kim off his mind as he stared off into the darkness of his room. The only light was coming from the moon that shown through his open window. He stood up off his bed, walking calmly over to his window, pulling over his office chair to sit on as he did so. The cool air of Seaford pouring into his room and rushing to his face as he sat down in front of the window. He reached over and pulled the window up a bit more, loving the humid, yet cool air that had taken over his room. He and Kim would usually be outside now, if she was home. When she was here. They had been inseparable since the moment they had met in the eighth grade. But now, he wasn't so sure. They were getting out of their junior year now, she had missed so much. And evidently, so had Jack.

Maybe she had met someone while she was over there. Maybe she fell deeper in love- like, deeper in like than she ever had with him. He hated to admit it, but he was so far deep in love with her, he wasn't sure if he would ever get out. His heart ached just thinking of all the possibilities of what had happened between them. Just the other day, he had been calling her, during one of their infamous ten second conversations. He had thought everything was fine. But then again, that was a week ago. Those conversations couldn't withstand a meaningful relationship, anyhow. So much could have changed for her. He knew within the first day he had met her that she was special. That she was different from any other girl. So who's to say that she hadn't had that type of feeling for someone else her last week of school?

He shook his head, knowing if he didn't get to sleep now, he never would. He breathed in the air once more, picking himself up reluctantly off his office chair. He didn't have the energy, or motivation for that matter, to move it back over to his desk. He threw himself back down on his bed, slipping his arm under his pillow as he pulled out the small set of pictures that had sat below his pillow for the last three years. He and Kim had taken those at the photo booth on the pier over the summer before he had almost left for Oti. She had the other half still with her... He hoped. They had split the four pictures in half, two for the each of them, in the spur of the moment for his leaving. He closed his eyes tightly as he felt a tear rolling down his cheek at the sight of her. Milton was spot on when he had picked up on the picture of Kim in his locker. He had been missing her so much lately, it was crazy. He thought he would be able to handle her time away, but it had turned out to be harder than he had thought. He couldn't stand to be without her another minute. But he had to. Because she was nowhere near home, and there was no way to bring her back himself.

*. *. *. *. *. *. *. *. *. *. *. *. *. *. *. *. *. *. *.

Kim let a giggle escape her lips as their driver, who's name had turned out to be Chance, clicked the button to change the channel on the television once more. Chance was around thirty two.

"Will you two stop that?" Ricky groaned as he shuffled up to the window that was currently closed. Kim jumped to the rescue of the two as she flipped the switch to lock it. Ricky slapped it with force as he watched Kim smirk back at him. A sly smile overtook his face before he pulled out his phone.

Kim let her eyes close as her own phone began to ring. She had forgotten she had kept the same phone number even after she had forced it down Ricky's throat during their last meeting. He laughed evilly as Kim raised her phone to her ear warily, clicking accept just before.