16. The Worry That...

Original Stats:
777 Views. 22 Votes. 8 Comments.

━━━━━━━━━

The Worry That...

━━━━━━━━━

Jack threw himself up the second his eyes shot open. He let his hands cover his eyes as the sun poured through the room, just like every morning this summer. It was just a few days till his tournament on Saturday. He and the guys would be heading over there all day Thursday and Friday since they weren't flying. He would be exhausted just from the ride by the time they got there. But he didn't care. For some reason he fel like this trip would be good for him. Like he needed to get there. He needed to compete for some unknown reason.

"Jack." His mother called as she knocked on his door. He rubbed his eyes as she pushed through the door, trying to get a better grasp on what was happening this morning. He felt slightly like she had something important to tell him. She walked in without facing him, shutting the door silently before turning to face him. He felt his eyebrows scrunch together as he looked at her face. It was slightly reddened and her eyes looked as though they were wet.

"Are you okay, mom?" Jack asked worriedly. He shuffled up and out of his covers before his mother held up her hands to stop him.

"I'm fine, Jack." His mom reassured before wiping off her face with the back of her hand. "It's you I should be worried about." She made her way slowly over and sat herself on the office chair at the left of Jack's bed. The chair was still pulled over to the corner next to the window. Jack frowned as he tried to figure out what she was getting at.

Worried about him? Why in the world would she be worried about him? He was fine... As far as she knew. He knew everyone had seen the change in him since Kim had left, but that was all. He was finally getting back into karate, as well. In everyone else's minds, he was getting back to normal. He was fine to them. There was nothing to be worried about.

"Why would you be worried about me?" Jack finally voiced. She sighed and let her chin rest in the palm of her hand. Jack could tell she was having a hard time coming up with the words to tell him. As though if she picked the wrong ones the whole world would come crashing down. Like there was something big behind all of this. Something that no one could take back.

"There's something that's happened. But before I tell it to you, I need to know something." His mother began. Jack nodded, wanting to get whatever this was, over with. He needed to train. Yes, he was worried about his mother, but if this was about him and there was nothing wrong with him, there was no point in sitting here and dwelling on something that wasn't there.

"Mom I'm fine." Jack tried again. He could sense the tension between them, and he couldn't figure out exactly what it was between them. Yes, he and his parents hadn't talked all that much since summer got in. But he and his parents had never been too close either. The closest the three had been. was when Kim and himself were dating. The two always hung around at the Brewer household. His parents loved to see the two together. Whenever he brought her over when they were friends, his parents would always ask the two quietly when they would be together. Since her leaving, his parents had practically forgotten about him.

"You won't be fine after you hear this." She muttered to herself, though, it was loud enough that Jack was able to catch it. "Are you and Kim still together?" She asked randomly. Jack's face scrunched up at the question. Since when was this coming up?

"No, but we will be when she gets back." Jack answered honestly. He knew for a fact that there was no way the two would ever be able to stay apart. Not when she got back.