Chapter 03: Last One Standing

[That night...]

Third Person's P.O.V

It was around 7 p.m. and there was only silence that accompanied Sasuke and Ayuda in their room. The unpleasant atmosphere which surrounded the two kids had successfully made them rattled all the time. But there was one particular thing that had been bothering the young Uchiha's mind at that moment.

"Why did your arrow flew past through the fireball as if it's nothing?"

"Huh?" Ayuda took at look at the boy who lied down on another bed next to hers.

Sasuke was staring at the space above him with a blank look. His left shoulder was bandaged neatly. He added, "Your arrow should be burned to ashes by the fireball. As far as I know, all arrows are made of wood. So why did it passed through it?"

"Hm," Ayuda averted her gaze and elucidated, "I love using bow and arrows as my weapon but my parents were against it. They said that using it will give me many disadvantages because they thought archery was too weak. But I insisted on using it. So, my father asked a craftsman to create a set of special bow and arrows for me to increase my advantages. The craftsman used pure metal to create my arrows. That's why they didn't burn in your fireball."

"Hn."

"By the way," Ayuda blurted out, "your skill in using Fireball Jutsu is amazing."

His face remained impassive, but he was slightly surprised to hear the compliment coming out of his rival's mouth. It's as if she had finally acknowledged that his skills had impressed her. He asked as he looked at her blankly, "Do you expect a compliment back from me?"

Ayuda instantly glared at Sasuke with faint blushes on her cheeks. She was embarrassed to compliment her rival, and she's even more embarrassed when Sasuke asked her that. It's as if she wanted his attention and his compliment, when in fact, she's not. She's just telling her opinion.

She sighed in frustration and turned her back to him saying, "As if I want a compliment from someone like you! I was just stating my opinion! Hmph! I'll take back what I said! Just forget it!"

Sasuke remained silent as he stared at her hair, her black locks spread all over her pillow as she lied down on her side.

Then, in a low voice, he spoke, "Your skill in archery is amazing too."

Ayuda's tensed body became slightly relaxed as she heard that. She knew from that moment that Sasuke also acknowledged her skills. She involuntarily smiled.

"I'm sorry for shooting an arrow at you and stabbed your shoulder with it," said the girl, her face flushing in embarrassment. She decided to take this opportunity to apologize. She knew she couldn't sleep well if she hadn't apologize to the person she nearly killed, even though if it's her rival. But what she did not know was that apologizing to a rival can be very embarrassing.

"Hn... Sorry for burning your arms," it took a moment of silence, but the boy hesitantly apologized as well.

The two of them was aware that the awkward ambience in the room had lessened a bit. At least they acknowledged and apologized to each other, right?

They stayed like that in pure silence afterwards.

And the silence was soon interrupted when someone slammed open the door violently and came in Naruto shouting, "Sasuke!"

Sasuke, judging from his expression, was obviously annoyed to hear his thunderous voice that echoed all over the room. He frowned in irritation as Naruto, Sakura, and Kakashi rushed to his side. Sakura asked worriedly, "Are you okay, Sasuke-kun?! Did she give you serious damage or something?! I can hit her if you want me to!"