Chapter 24: Match Ups

Ayuda's P.O.V

Hinata and I weren't that close but I was still worried about her. She's so shy and timid and it made me want to protect her in any way possible. Iruka once put me on a seat next to her back in the Academy, and we got along well, despite her shy manner. We only talked if it was necessary. But then, Iruka changed our seats again. My seat was in front of Sasuke's while Hinata had her seat somewhere on the back of the class.

I scowled most of the time while watching Neji assaulted Hinata psychologically, using her fears to convince her that she had no possibility of winning. Hinata admitted that she wanted to change; from being shy to being brave, but Neji crushed that hope by saying that everyone cannot change because we have this thing called destiny. He even stated that a failure will always be a failure.

Kazuki inquired, "What's up with Neji and this 'everyone cannot change' talk?"

"It's just like what he said," I said in response, "I think... he believes that everyone else's fates, including his, are determined from birth and cannot be changed. If you are born a failure, then you will always be a failure for the rest of your life."

I couldn't help but think. Neji, if you are thinking like that, then are you thinking the same thing too towards our marriage? Do you see that as something inescapable? Something that is already determined from birth?

I recalled this one moment when we had finished the First Exam and he came to talk to me...

***

He then opened his mouth to tell me, "I have been asking myself for the reason they chose me of all the Hyuuga members. I must say that I am upset upon hearing it, but no matter what I have to accept it. My fate and everyone else's fates are determined from birth and are inescapable. And it seems that fate has chosen me."

***

So that's why... he has slowly accepted this arranged marriage. He thinks that we are destined to marry, and we cannot change that.

After being inspired by Naruto's courage, Hinata decided to fight to prove that she could be brave as well. Their battle commenced and they used only the Hyuuga's Gentle Fist style and their Byakugan.

Neji managed to interrupt Hinata's chakra flow in her arms, disabling her ability to use Gentle Fist. Hinata still tried to go on and said something that seemed to have triggered an angry button in Neji.

Neji suddenly bolted towards Hinata with an enraged look on his face. The veins around his eyes protruded even more. When Neji was approximately one meter away from Hinata, a big puff of smoke erupted around him and then diminished into thin air, revealing Kakashi, Guy, Kurenai, and Hayate putting him to a sudden halt.

Hinata fell to her knees and started coughing out loudly. Kurenai instantly released Neji's arm and rushed to her side. Naruto, Sakura, and Rock Lee jumped off of the balcony and dashed their ways to her as well. The yellow-haired boy crouched down next to her and I noticed Hinata's pale lips moved as she locked her gaze with Naruto's until she passed out. I could see from the look in Naruto's eyes that Hinata's bravery managed to inspire Naruto.

After sending Hinata to the emergency treatment room, those who stood in the arena jumped back to the balcony, except for the judge. I did notice that Naruto tried to get as far away as possible from Neji and ended up standing close to the stairs.

I was definitely upset with Neji for attempting to kill Hinata. The said boy was actually standing behind me, since my team, Kakashi's team and Guy's team were standing in one spot altogether. Because of that bitter feeling I had for him, I walked away from them and made my way to Naruto.