Chapter 38: On One Condition

Ayuda's P.O.V

We'd finally finished our own homemade teriyaki and were currently sitting at the dining table, taking seats across from each other. Our hairs were dry by now and we had put our towels (that we draped over our hairs) away before we took our plates onto the dining table. I had to say that thanks to Sasuke, I'd learned some useful cooking techniques by watching and helping him throughout the entire time we made teriyaki together.

The fact that Sasuke could cook nicely amazed me because his family passed away when he was so little and probably hadn't started cooking yet. There's no doubt that he learned how to cook all by himself after that tragedy and it saddened me whenever that thought crossed my mind. He went through all of those hardships ever since that massacre.

"People usually say that girls know a lot about cooking more than boys," said the ravenette in front of me, "And I'm starting to doubt that when you-"

He didn't need to say more since I knew what he was going to tell me, so I cut him off, "Shut up! I know how to cook and I know some recipes, but I had never cut onions before you taught me, okay?! And my mother and Reina are usually the ones who cook meals for me at home!"

Sasuke's lips stretched into a smirk, clearly taking pleasure in my humiliation. He advised, "You should try to cook on your own once in a while. You shouldn't just rely on your family all the time."

I rolled my eyes, "Ugh you sound like my mother now."

Silence ensued as we resumed devouring the meals. The quietude provided me some time to dwell on some things that I'd been worrying about, and one of them was about my arranged marriage, and my mood went down a little as soon as that marriage came to my mind. I unintentionally slowed down my movements while eating and musing on the upcoming marriage.

It's so sad now that I think about it. I've finally taken a liking on a boy and wish to spend more time with him, but unfortunately, there is one big, inescapable obstacle which is my marriage with Neji, and because of this obstacle, I feel like I was forbidden from loving Sasuke. This marriage blocks out any chances of me finding my own true love. If this arranged marriage never occurs in the first place, then I would've been much happier than what I'm feeling right now.

"What's the matter?"

The Uchiha's voice snapped me back to reality and to the sight of Sasuke staring at me with a tiny frown. His chopsticks were in the air, between his face and his plate of almost-finished teriyaki. His mouth and jaw weren't moving, indicating that there was no food in his mouth to chew.

I shook my head with my eyes cast downward, "Nothing."

The onyx-eyed boy put his chopsticks down onto his plate and his frown deepened, "I know you are lying."

I remained tight-lipped. Should I tell him?

"Just tell me," he assured me as though he knew what I was thinking just by reading my scrutable expression.

"It's about... my arranged marriage..." I was unaware of the fact that Sasuke went rigid right then and there, "...that's all."

A hush descended over us for a short amount of time before he quizzed with a strained voice, "When will you two get engaged?"

I shrugged my shoulders, acting nonchalant over the matter, "I don't know. My parents said that the engagement ceremony will be initiated after the Chuunin Exam, but I still have not received any news yet."

"And you two will marry after you are above 18 years old?"

"Yeah."

An uneasy silence emerged once again and we listened attentively to the rain beating down on the metal roof. Whenever we talk about this, the atmosphere around us goes unbearably awkward in an instant.