Chapter 35: The Invasion

Ayuda's P.O.V

I was taken by surprise when a loud explosion took place at the spot where the Hokage and the Kazekage were located at. Kakashi and Might Guy, who had dispelled the genjutsu, began to rush for the Hokage, but they abruptly stopped when four ANBUs flew past us and went in the direction of the two Kages.

I stared wide-eyed in apprehension as an impenetrable barrier was cast by four bright-haired people who were evidently involved in this invasion as our enemies, and in the barrier were the Kazekage who took our old man Hokage hostage.

"Barrier ninjutsu, huh?" stated Might Guy.

Kakashi said, "To think that they could outwit ANBU... they're not just ordinary."

Might Guy and Kakashi were about to run when another ANBU landed on the spot in front of us. I was perplexed as soon as he came into my line of vision and Might Guy voiced out the question in my head, "What are you doing here?! Hokage-sama is in danger!"

We confirmed that the ANBU in front of us was an enemy when four Sound ninjas appeared next to him. The two Jounins also surmised that the same ANBU was the one who bewitched all of the audiences with the genjutsu that coerce people to sleep.

That's when I caught something moving in the background. I shot my gaze back to the massive arena with curiosity. Temari and Kankuro had jumped down there and stood on each side of Gaara who seemed to have an agonizing headache, for he was clutching his flaming red hair tightly with his two hands. Their teacher, who had white cloth concealing the left side of his face, stood in front of them. Genma was also standing before Sasuke as though shielding him from any danger.

Kankuro wrapped Gaara's arm around his neck and, after receiving an order from their teacher, quickly made their getaways. Sasuke followed suit, leaving Genma to take care of the half-masked Sand Jounin. I breathed a noiseless sigh as I watched Sasuke leaping over the huge wall of the arena, tailing the three Sand ninjas. Why is he so hasty and reckless? He should've brought some comrades with him.

"Sakura, watch out!" Kaito suddenly called out; pulling my attention to the direction he was looking at.

There were two Sound ninjas, with ninja knives in hands, jumping down towards the defenseless pinkette. Before they could swing their kunais down her flesh, Kakashi stepped in at the speed of light, killing or rendering the two of them unconscious. However, another Sound shinobi took that opportunity to charge at me and Kaito. We didn't have much time to defend ourselves!

A tall figure suddenly appeared in front of us in the blink of an eye. It had a willowy body, wearing the Jounin's flak jacket, and a short brown hair that reached the shoulder. It took me only one second to realize who it was. The Sound ninja who was hurtling towards us was violently grabbed around the neck by the same figure, preventing him from reaching me and Kaito any further.

"Shiori-sensei!" chirped Kaito.

Our teacher tightened her grip around the invader's neck unsympathetically before she flung him to a nearby Sound ninja with brutish force, knocking the two of them out all at once. Her lips parted to display a tomboyish grin as she turned to us, "Are you two okay?"

I regarded her with a faint smile while Kaito said in response, "We're all good, sensei!"

"Hm?" Shiori scanned the place around us for a quick moment, "Where is Kazuki?"

"Oh, he fell asleep as soon as the sleeping-inducing genjutsu started," answered my green-eyed teammate; his index finger was pointed to our blonde-haired friend who got some shut-eye. He was still situated right next to the fully-awakened Sakura.