Chapter 30: Enthralling Beauty

[The next morning...]

Ayuda's P.O.V

I squirmed in my bed as soon as I unlocked my eyes. The glaring rays of the morning sun permeated my bedroom through the window which had its curtains spread open. If I were a little more conscious and a bit more awake, I would have asked myself – when did I pull the drapes apart? However, I was too sleepy and inattentive, so without much thought, I stretched my mouth widely and yawned rather unlovely.

"Aaaaaoooohh~!"

"Hn. You sound like a dying whale."

I was, of course, thunderstruck to hear another voice other than mine in the room. I thought I was alone in the room and I've forgotten everything that betided last night. Still keeping my back laid on the bed, I whipped my head to the side with wide eyes and an open mouth.

My purple orbs landed on my rival Sasuke Uchiha, who sat with his legs crossed loosely on his disheveled futon; his body looked toward me and his face bore an indecipherable look. Since he was still seated in his futon, I was under the impression that he has just woken up like I was, but his eyes looked as though he woke up one hour ago. His eyes were clear and wide awake; there's no sign of sleepiness at all or that I-just-woke-up look.

Everything that occurred yesterday crashed back into my mind like bricks falling over me – the short fight between me and Sasuke, the we-almost-kissed incident, Sasuke ignoring me and wouldn't even look at me, woken up by the same guy hitting my window and found out that Gaara sneaked into my room, Sasuke made his decision to accompany me the entire night and slept on the floor beside me.

I felt heat bloomed across my cheeks in embarrassment after sinking in the fact that the onyx-eyed boy – one of the many people that I do not want them to see my ugly side – has listened to my horrid yawn. And he also remarked that I sounded like a dying whale.

I countered drowsily, "Good morning to you too, duckbutt."

I groggily sat up on my bed, grunting a few times and soon I started giving my right eye a slow and gentle rub with my right hand to ease the drowsiness. Without taking a glance at the Uchiha, I quizzed, "What time is it now?"

"Around nine o'clock," he answered after a good two seconds, probably using that brief moment to glimpse at the wall clock.

"Hermm..." I swung my legs over the side of my bed, my body was now facing the ravenette.

Speaking of that boy, he was staring at me with an unreadable look gracing his features. His lips pursed into a thin, straight line. His coal-black eyes gave me the impression that he had something he wanted to tell me but decided not to. I couldn't contain my curiosity the moment I saw that look in his 'charming' face.

"What's wrong?" I queried, slightly doubting that he would tell me what it was straightaway that easily.

And just as I half-predicted, he took his gaze away from me, shifting his eyes down to the floor as though he found it oddly fascinating and mumbled, "Nothing," he paused to stand up straight; his hands were shoved into his pockets. I had once read in a body language book that there is a high possibility that when someone does this, it means they have secrets they do not wish to tell.

The ravenette spoke monotonously, "I will take my leave now. I am a few minutes late to meet up with Kakashi," he then mumbled, "though I bet he still hasn't arrived yet."

Disappointment crashed over me, but I quickly masked my facial expression with an indifferent look because I did not wish him to see that I was crestfallen to know he was going to leave. I vacantly emitted an "oh" sound to indicate that I listened to him and urged him to make the first move.