Chapter 12: The Written Test

"Sorry to keep you waiting. I am the examiner of the first exam of the Chuunin Selection Exam, Morino Ibiki."

His right hand rose, pointing his pointy finger at us, specifically at the three Sound ninjas who were still standing in front of Kabuto, Naruto, and Sakura. He called with a stern voice, "You three from the Hidden Village of Sound, don't think you can do anything you want before the exam. Do you want us to fail you already?"

Yes, yes, yes, just disqualify them! What kind of ninjas are they? Attacking someone who is unprepared is so unfair!

The Sound ninja who had his face bandaged completely except for his left eye spoke up, "I'm sorry. I was excited since this is my first exam."

I could hear the insincerity in his voice when he apologized. And he said he was excited? I had never gone so far as to attack someone out of the blue when I was too excited about something.

A smirk graced Ibiki's features before it dropped completely as he turned to the rest of us, "This is a good chance to say this. You are not allowed to fight each other during the exam unless given permission by the examiners. Even if the permission is given, you are not allowed to kill the other. Pigs who go against me will fail immediately. Understood?"

Another male Sound ninja chuckled lowly with a cocky grin, "This exam seems so soft and easy."

What? You thought this exam is allowed to kill people? Or it could be that you are the one who wishes to kill someone. And why did he say like he's stronger than everyone here? He hasn't seen Gaara's true power yet. Well... neither do I.

I could faintly hear the chuunins who stood behind Ibiki were laughing with closed mouths. Their gazes were telling us that the Chuunin Exam will be harder than we thought. They knew that the Sound ninja who spoke previously were indeed wrong.

Ibiki added with a straight face, "We will now begin the first exam of the Chuunin Selection Exam. Turn in your applications, take one of these number tags," he paused as he held up a white square card with the number [1] written on it, "and sit where the number tells you to. Then we will pass out the papers for the written exam."

"Written...? Papers...?" Naruto voiced out my thought, "Paper..."

I sweatdropped. I had never thought that the Chuunin Exam will have written test. I had only trained my skills as a preparation for the Chuunin Exam, not reading books! I sighed. I hope the questions aren't too hard.

"A paper test?!" exclaimed Naruto with his palms placed directly on the floor. The look of utter surprise was shown as clear as a day on his face.

Not only Naruto was surprised, some genins in the room expressed their disapprovals, too and found this written test unnecessary for ninjas like us. Despite that, all of us gave our application forms to the chuunins and in return, they gave us number tags.

I stared at my number tag. I got number [78]. I looked around the room and noticed that the chuunins had placed the same white square cards with numbers on the tables. So I have to take my seat where my number is, huh? This means that every teammate will be separated randomly.

"Hey, Ayuda-chan," I looked to see Kaito and Kazuki were heading toward me; their masculine hands grasped firmly on their white tags. Kaito smiled at me, "Good luck. I can predict that you can pass this stage."

I returned his smile, "I bet you two can pass this exam too."

"Umm, not me," admitted Kazuki who scratched the back of his head. He smiled unconfidently, "Out of three of us, I am the stupidest one."