Chapter 29: My Safe Haven

Ayuda's P.O.V

"Did you talk to him after the preliminary match?"

"No."

"Have you seen him around this one-month preparation?"

"No."

"Have you ever made him upset?"

"No."

"Then why was he here then?"

"Why are you asking me? I am just as clueless as you are. And why are you interrogating me like I am the culprit here?"

I had ensconced myself in my bed, crossing my arms over my chest with my body facing Sasuke Uchiha who seated himself on the floor; his body facing me as well. His eyes cast downward, frowning like a detective would do when trying to solve a mystery.

I had replaced my bed sheets into a new one – as quickly as possible – so I wouldn't have to sleep with the very little amount of sand that Gaara had left here. Sasuke and I were startled to register the fact that the Sand genin was here. The Uchiha looked disturbed and he had been trying to figure out why he came here. Gaara's 'visit' had definitely rendered me disoriented and in a cold sweat.

"And you didn't wake up when he was here?"

The ravenette's composed yet confused voice shook me out of my thought. I replied, "Yeah. I was woken up by you pounding my window."

"You are not safe, then," he spoke, more like saying it to himself in deep thought since his eyes were still downcasted, "If I hadn't come here, who knows what he would do to you."

I had to admit that he was right. I felt very grateful for him to check up on me, even though he had woken me up in the middle of the night while I was deep in slumber. Whatever endeavor Gaara had in his mind to use on me, he had to put an abrupt halt to it so as not to get caught by Sasuke.

Speaking of Gaara, I was left terrified after sinking in the fact that he 'dropped by'. I know that I had a crush on him, but the fearful feeling had overpowered my fondness for him in that moment. I was scared stiff of the things he could possibly do to me when I was that powerlessly vulnerable. As ludicrous as it sounds, I was hoping he had a good motive for coming here at midnight.

The Uchiha asked again, "And the rest of your family is not in the house, right?"

"Yes."

That's true. Father and mother had some businesses to accomplish in the Cloud Village while Reina had a confidential B-rank mission in the Waterfall Village. Reina left five days ago and my parents departed two days ago. So far, I encountered not even a problem in living alone in this house. Well, up until now, when I found out that Gaara had stealthily crept into my room. I had informed this to Sasuke earlier.

The only boy in the room questioned, "When will they return?"

"Reina will return later at noon, my parents eleven days later."

"So you are temporarily living alone for now. I have a feeling that he knows you are all alone in this building."

I hummed in response, not knowing what to say. And then, thick silence ensued for what felt like an eternity, but I knew it had been a couple of minutes. The two of us were too absorbed in thoughts, pondering about the same thing – what was his purpose for coming here?

That's when Sasuke's voice rolled into my ears, "I'll be staying here."

I threw my gaze to him in that instant, face contorted in great shock, "What?"

Sasuke had already stared into my eyes when I looked at him. The look in his onyx eyes told me that he was being serious about it. He got up to his feet, still keeping his gaze locked on mine and he replied, "You heard me. Now find me a futon. I will sleep here on the floor."

"B-but, Sasuke," I stumbled over my words, plainly confounded to comprehend all of this, "you don't have to do this. As long as I have my bow and arrows on the nightstand beside my bed, I can protect myself. And I will be extra careful from now on."

"And then I wake up tomorrow morning with the news of you being killed, butchered, or kidnapped? Do you want that?" he raised an eyebrow as if daring me to say yes.

My face quickly twisted at the mention of these three odious acts, grimacing in disgust. Without a moment of hesitation, I answered a little loudly, "No!"

"Then I am going to sleep here," concluded the onyx-eyed boy as he spun around, indicating that he did not want to debate about it.

My cheeks flushed to the color of scarlet as I glued my gaze to his back. Does he really care about me that much? But... he literally ignored my existence earlier that day. I thought he was going to run off and let me handle this situation alone. But now... he insists on sleeping here... on the floor... right next to my bed. Why are you so confusing, Sasuke?

Despite the confusion that boiled deep inside me, I allowed my lips to form a smooth curve, smiling warmly at the boy who looked around to find futon. I couldn't admit it to him and to anyone that I was wholeheartedly thankful that he wanted to keep me company here. I felt a sudden surge of safeness flowing throughout my veins as I fathomed the idea that he would be sleeping in the same room with me. It's like his presence can keep me out of harm's way.

After giving him a set of clean, simple futon, he laid it on the floor while I lied down on my bed. I watched as he laid himself silently on the futon and brought the blanket to his chest level. He stirred slightly to make himself comfortable.

Not wanting for him to see me staring at him, I averted my gaze and looked blankly at the ceiling. Though we have made ourselves comfortable in our sleeping places, the noiseless atmosphere in the room was actually very much edgy. Not a word passed onto one another.

It was after several minutes that I realized I could not sleep. I wonder if Sasuke can't sleep too...

"Sasuke, are you sleeping?" I queried softly.

I was replied by his all too familiar voice, "Yes."

I sweatdropped, "Then why are you answering if you are sleeping...?"

"You interrupted me. Anyway, what's wrong?"

"Nothing. It's just I... I can't sleep."

I heard him stirring in his futon as he spoke, "Just close your eyes and don't think of anything. Just think of a black wall. You will fall asleep eventually."

"Does that work?"

"Just try it."

I conformed to his short and simple instructions – closing my eyes, conjuring an image of a dull, black wall in my mind, and waited. I also thought not to concern myself with what happened because right now, Sasuke was here, making sure that I was safe from Gaara and any danger.

Surprisingly, I did fall asleep after all of that. How? Maybe it's not because of his method on how to fall asleep easily. It's the thought of Sasuke being my safe haven that enabled the slumber to consume me. I had faith in him that he could protect me.