Chapter 28: He Was Here

Ayuda's P.O.V

Kenzo and I were walking side-by-side with Kakashi and Sasuke leading us to the village in the front. Shiori had rushed off to see Kaito at another different training ground. Her uncle and I had said not a word with each other while I could vaguely hear faint murmurs coming from the two boys in front of us. I couldn't discern the topic they're conversing about due to their low volumes in speaking.

I looked fixedly at the Uchiha Clan symbol that was fully displayed on the back of Sasuke's navy blue shirt. I was still perplexed at what happened back there. As we made our way back to the teachers, the only things that we heard were the sounds of our footsteps. We didn't say anything. We suddenly became awkward and tensed around each other.

Sasuke did not spare me even a quick glance since then. His eyes looked anywhere but me. After that 'almost-kissed' incident, as soon as we reached Kakashi, Kenzo, and Shiori, he strolled off from my side that instant and to his team leader's side, making me feel dejected. He is avoiding me. Ignoring me.

What did I do wrong to turn him like this? As I recalled perfectly, the only offensive things that I've said to him was referring to Itachi. Could it be that? No, it couldn't be. Yes, I somehow insulted him back then, but after he succeeded in landing a blow on me, all that upset look on his face faded away and was replaced into a smirk of triumph. That means he has moved on from what I said. I think...

"Hey, brat," a familiar, deep voice shook me out of my deep thought. I turned my head to look at Kenzo who stared down at me with a serious expression. He queried, "Did you listen to what I said?"

Huh? Did he say something?

My gaze turned downward as I answered truthfully, ashamed and embarrassed, "N-no... I'm sorry."

The retired archer scoffed, "Hmph. That's because you're busy gawking at that Uchiha boy. Female nowadays only seem to care about boys and romance and yet they still want to be a ninja and act high and mighty. How stupid."

I retorted with heat blooming on my cheeks, "I-I'm not gawking at him! I... ugh..."

I fell into silence since I couldn't form any seemingly reasonable excuses to hide the fact that I was indeed staring at Sasuke. I couldn't help it. I was hoping that I could find the answer by staring at him from behind, but deep in my heart, I knew that was impossible.

"Most people said that love can make you strong, but they should also accept the fact that love can turn us into weaklings too," Kenzo stated as he gazed skyward. Judging from his eyes, I could tell that he was reminiscing a certain moment in his past.

He resumed, "That's why... if you want to love, then choose the right time. If you choose to fall in love at this time, you cannot fully concentrate on your training, just like how you turned deaf when I told you things I am going to teach you tomorrow. I suggest you fall in love when you think you are strong enough to protect your friends and yourself."

I muttered under my breath, "I can't believe that someone as ruthless as him is giving me advice about love. It's not like I like Sasuke..."

Or am I...?

I frowned deeply, now casting my eyes downward, gazing at the space beneath me. I think I am starting to like him... that's why I was so eager to feel his lips on mine. That's why I didn't push him away back there. Instead, I waited for him. Is it wrong for me to like my rival? Is it wrong for me to fancy someone while I am this weak?

I hated to admit that I felt so torn and dejected when Sasuke drew back before his lips could touch my skin. It's like that feeling when I caught sight of Kazuki flirting with other girls and this had transpired when we were still in the academy when I liked him. I maintained my composure on the outside, but on the inside, I was crying.