Chapter Eleven- The Arena

"Boarding Hovercraft Two" said a voice over an intercom.
I gave Joanna one last hug. "Thank you for being my mentor. Tell my family I loved them." I said, my eyes watery.

I couldn't tell, but I think hers were too.

I stepped into the hovercraft and strap myself in my seat. "Ow." I say numbly as a Capitol attendant injected a tracker into my arm. During the ride I gave Winnifred a reassuring glance, because she was looking nervous.
I caught Kimble and Bea whispering and giving me fleeting looks.

I knew this would make me an instant target to the Careers, but hopefully it would also make them hesitant to come after the rest of the alliance.

Then the hovercraft landed and I was escorted into what most of the districts call "the stockyard", where animals go to prepare for slaughter.
Darian was waiting for me. "Emerson." He said as I ran over to give him a hug.
When we let go, he held up a weird outfit for me to wear. It consisted of Ugg boots, jeans, a lime green tank top, and a brown hunting jacket. 
I put it on and he inspected me. "Hmm..." Darian mused, "If I had to guess, I would say some kind of forest."

"THREE MINUTES TO LAUNCH"

I breathe out shakily and give Darian one last hug. I tightened my blue watch, my token. It was broken, but it was my father's.

"TWO MINUTES TO LAUNCH"

I step into the glass tube and it slides shut. I put my palm against the glass, and so does Darian. We stand like this for a while.

"ONE MINUTE TO LAUNCH"

"Thank you." I manage to squeak out.

"THIRTY SECONDS TO LAUNCH"

I turn around so I can get a good look at the arena when I emerge.

"LAUNCH COMMENSING IN 3, 2, 1"

The plate begins to rise. I peek over the top of the plate. I smile. It seems the arena was made just for me. I crouch down to Darian and say, "Pine forest." He smiles and gives me a thumbs up. "Axe" he mouthes. I nod. The plate has reached the top.

30
29
28

I find Ethan, Drew and Winnifred and nod towards the dense forest. They understand and get in a running postition. So
do I.

25
24
23

Kimble, Gregory, Bea and Tool are facing the Cornucopia, getting ready to run.

18
17
16

The pair from 4 look at each other and the girl frowns . There aren't many forests in 4.

15
14
13

I survey the Cornucopia. There are two axes, but I won't risk it. Maybe later.

10
9
8

I get ready to run.

5
4
3
2
1

"LET THE 34th ANNUAL HUNGER GAMES BEGIN!"