Chapter Twelve- The Bloodbath

The gong rang out across the arena. I started running. Drew, Winnifred and Ethan ran after me. After a few minutes, I turned to see if anyone was following us.

I should've known. It was Kimble.

I started screaming really loud and flailing my arms, which probably wasn't a very good idea. I can almost hear Joanna face-palming in front of her TV.

Kimble was holding a mace, and swinging it around very menacingly. So, naturally, I panicked and climbed a tree. Being from 7, I am very good at climbing. Apparently, so is the rest of the alliance. Kimble starts to climb the tree, but she is too heavy and the branches keep breaking.

"GET A TASTE OF YOUR OWN MEDICINE!" I yell at her.

She curses back at me. When we are at the top, Drew throws a knife at her, but it misses and lodges in her arm. Blood sprays her in the face. She howls in pain and anger, so I ask, "Where did the knife come from?" "Someone threw it at me but it missed and lodged in a Mahogany tree." He said frankly. I hear a faint scream of anger.
"Did you hear that?"
"No, what?"
"Nothing."
Boom. Boom. Boom. Boom. Boom. Five dead. 18 more to go.
"So, now what do we do?" I ask. Kimble is still stumbling around below us, and there is little to no method of escape.
"Kill her." suggests Drew. I look at him confusedly. A twelve year old should not be suggesting that. "Uh..." says Ethan.
He seems to have the same reaction as me.

"Wait until the Anthem, then use it as a distraction to escape." chirps Winnifred.

"Good idea." I say. She beams at me. Oh, I get it. Nice angle. I decide to help her play it. I hug her lightly. She hugs me back. Oh, the sponsors will be lining up around the block.

Wait. Pause. Ok. I actually do like her, I'm not just doing it for the sponsors. She is really cute.

We sit there for a few hours, and nothing eventful happens. Only one cannon booms. Kimble has made camp down below, using a signal fire. I just hope we can escape before the careers find Kimble. Then the sun starts to set. It's almost time.
"I'm cold." Winnifred says, shivering. She's right. It is really cold. "Here, take this." I give her my jacket. "Haymitch, can I have a blanket, PWEASE!" She coos, using puppy dog eyes.

Ding, ding!

The sound of a parachute chimes, and it lands in her lap. "Thank you, nice sponsors!" She tweets. She opens it and reveals a thermos of steaming broth and a green quilt.
We don't have any time to enjoy the gifts, because just then the Anthem starts. We only have a minute or so, because only six people died today.

We shove the gifts back in the parachute, and clamber down the tree. Thankfully, Kimble's back is turned. I stifle a chuckle as I think of how she will react in the morning. We drop to the ground, silently, of course, and tiptoe away into the trees.

The dead consist of: all of 3, all of 8, and Ferdinand from 6.

The Anthem ends. After thirty minutes of walking or so, we make camp in a willow tree. We eat some broth, and Drew takes the first shift as guard.
We fall asleep quickly, and Winnifred curls up next to me.

I like it. It reminds me of home.