Chapter Fifteen- Ambush

I yawn. Just five more minutes... I think. I suddenly bolt upright.  I remember something, maybe a noise, woke me up. A cannon. No, that wasn't it. More like, a crunching of some sort. Now I remember.

A twig snapping. Someone is here. I shake Ethan, to let him know I'm going out. He yawns. I nudge him with my foot. "What?" He groans. I make the "Shh signal", putting a finger to my lips. His eyes widen.
I point outside. "You want me to go with you?" He whispers. "No. Just watch." I whisper back. Silently, I scoot over to the edge of the shelter, grabbing my axe. I count to three and on three, I dart outside, ready to face my attacker.

No one comes. "Nevermind. False alarm!" I yell inside.
Ethan goes back to sleep, and I stand there, watching the trees for a few minutes.
Suddenly, I get tackled with so much force that the wind is knocked out of me. Stars swim in my vision.
Someone is sitting on top of me, but I can't tell who, my eyes are too out of focus.
They run a knife teasingly down my neck, and say something along the lines of, "I'm going to enjoy this." But I can't make out the exact words.

Then everything goes black.

When I come to, I'm covered with blood. "12 left." Someone says, but I can't tell who. Maybe Drew. "Who?" I say weakly.
"She's up!" tweets Winnifred, running up to me. "Who attacked?" I said. "Guess." says Winnifred, exasperated. "Kimble." I say, stronger now.
"And the prize goes to... Emerson!" Winnifred impersonates a show host.

"Stand back, I'm gonna throw up." I throw up. "Ew." says Winnifred. I drift back off to sleep.