Chapter Fourteen- It Started With a Trickle

It started with a trickle.

I yawned. It was morning. I had taken the first watch, and traded with Ethan at midnight. There was a light rain. It danced on my forehead, and I got a free drink when I opened my mouth. "Food, check, water, check, shelter, not check." says Winnifred. We bounce shelter ideas off each other. None of them meet our requirements.

Requirements:
Hard to notice
Warm
Big enough to fit all of us and our supplies
And,
Sturdy

As we were thinking, my thoughts kept drifting back to home. My family, Harper, Mum, Delilah, Emma. My friends, Garrett, Serra, Berry.
My pets, Juniper the dog, Mickey- that's it! "That's it!" I shouted. "What?" Said everyone else. "A burrow!" I said. Everyone was confused so I explained.

"Yesterday, when we were walking, I had noticed a big pile of leaves. Meanwhile, back at home, my sister's pet mouse, Mickey, (he's named after an old timey cartoon character) was burrowing in his cage. In leaves! WE CAN BURROW IN THE LEAVES!" I said.

Everyone murmured in agreement. We ran off to the leaf pile. The ground was getting muddier and the rain was thickening every second. After ten minutes or so, it was like standing under a waterfall with a muddy slide under you.
And it being very foggy. With three other people.

We were drowning in rain.

"TURN BACK!" I yelled. We couldn't possibly keep going.
It only got worse.

Darn those Gamemakers.

After five minutes of almost drowning in rain, we found an rocky overhang that we could go under. We collapsed, heaving on the ground and coughing out water. The water intensified.

Boom. One dead. 16 more sentenced to death.

The overhang creates a waterfall, giving us protection. We lay there, cold, shivering. The rain went on for many hours. In that time, four more people died. Finally, at sunset, it trickled to a stop.

The following illuminated the sky:
Tool, from 2
Judith, from 6
Carmen, from 8
Issa, from 9
Redwood, from 11

One career dead. Yay. We fell asleep quickly in the cave thing. We felt safe. We weren't.