Chapter Nineteen- Over

I opened the parachute. Inside it was a little black box with a button and a speaker. I smiled. If this plan worked, I'd be out in less than an hour. I climbed a tree, pressed the button, and a cannon rang out across the arena.

I know what your thinking, no, this is not a kill switch. It is a cannon-noise maker. They think I'm dead. Now, they will fight among themselves and kill each other. I can hear the clashing of swords from here. I guess I'm lucky I thought of the plan when I did, they must be close.
Minutes pass. 10, 15, 20- then finally the fight stops. I hope with all my might that there are two cannons.

Boom.

Just one. I have to finish the other one off. The hovercraft appears and extracts the dead tribute's body. I pinch the bridge of my nose and try to keep from crying. I might not go home today. I just want so badly to just go home. I will not let my mother and sisters lose two children to these games. These horrible games.

Boom. Another cannon. The only other tribute is dead. I'm going home. I'm going home. I'm really going home! Tears of joy stain my cheeks and I wave the hovercraft over. It appears over me and drops a ladder. I grab the ladder and the electrical current freezes me in place.

I'm going home.

As the ladder reels me up, I think darker thoughts. It seems like only yesterday Ethan and I were playing hide and seek in the tree in front of our house. I will never see him again. The realisation hits me with a pang. You will never see Ethan again. Says a voice in my head. The tears of joy turn to tears of sorrow. I will never hear him joke about Johanna Mason, one of our resident victors. Who is my mentor. Who was his.

I'm in the hovercraft now. I run to Johanna and hug her. "I know, I know." She coos. Her face hardens. "Twelve will pay." I nod. Ethan will be avenged.