Chapter Sixteen- Adding Allies

I guess I was out for a while, because when I wake up next, it's late afternoon. I stand up groggily. "How long was I-" I start but then see Noel chatting with Ethan.
I grab my axe, and hold it to her throat.
Her eyes widened, and Drew stepped in between us. "No! She's in the alliance!" He stutters. I release the axe and Noel runs behind a rock.
"What is up with her?' I ask.
"Some poison got into her. She won't stop throwing up" explains Drew. "How long was I out?" I ask. "Uh... Two days..." says Winnifred. I sigh.
"How many left?"
"8."
"Who?"
"Us and the careers. Kimble's dead."
I turn this over in my mind. We outnumber the Careers, but if we kill them, there will be a massive fight-out among us.
I decide that, in the morning, Ethan and I will split away from the alliance.
We might bring Winnifred with us, because I don't trust Drew. He's too quick to kill.

We eat a meagre meal of broth, and Drew goes out hunting. "If I'm not back by nightfall, look for me this way." He instructs. We go to sleep. Around two am, a cannon fires and we wake up. "Ethan!" I yell, hoping with all my heart that it wasn't him.

It wasn't. It wasn't Winnifred. Drew. I gasp. Not Drew. It can't be Drew.

"Where's Noel?" Asks Winnifred. I check behind the throw-up rock. There she is, laying on the ground, with her eyes still open. I shudder. At least it wasn't Drew. I walk away, the hovercraft materialises, and she is gone.

Then, we realise Drew isn't here. We decide to go look for him.

After walking for an hour or two, we see him, facing a lake and holding a spear.

"Drew!" Winnifred says, and runs up to hug him. He turns around, and we see he's been crying. "I'm sorry. I'm so sorry." He whimpers. I don't understand. But Ethan does. The spear is almost to her when I know what is going to happen. No. Anything but that. I think. He jumps. I scream.