30. More than one surprise

Chapter thirty. More than one surprise

I hated hospitals; nothing could change the vile smell that seemed like it was built in along with the actual buildings of the hospital. The smell just made me feel sick; sick to the point of breathing in the disgusting aroma, made me wanna throw up for decades. The smell was unpleasant, I just didn't understand if Hospitals were such a good places then why did they stink like hell? Well most people died in hospitals, but this wasn't the type of hospital for people to die in, this was Rehab for crying out loud!

I had gotten to the hospital, in no time at all, the roads were all clear, and it was just a smooth twenty minute drive, nothing hard, nothing easy; just right. If everything was right, why was it feeling so wrong at the same time? Was it right leaving Jace, and was it wrong to go and see my mother, well I believed in reasons. Everything happened for a reason and that there were no surprises in life; everything was based upon reasons and that was it, nothing more, nothing less.

As soon as I entered the hospital, I could feel the emotions that were running around, it seemed so dead, like there was no life in the hospital not even a single sliver of happiness, I couldn't feel anything. Everything was just so dull and sad; well a hospital wasn't always bound to be happy right.

I walked around the first floor looking for a desk or at least a receptionist to ask where my mother was, I couldn't even see a nurse of doctor in sight. There was literally no one, unless I was looking in the wrong place, as well as the wrong floor. I walked around a bit more, before noticing a big sign saying what floor and level, each department was on. I scanned each level and saw one for intensive care. I was guessing that my mother was there, most people when they have had a heart attack or gone into a coma.

Level three... that's where I had to go.

I ran up to the lady at the desk, she seemed quite kind, so I'd easily be able to talk and ask her questions. She had honey brown hair, brown eyes that seemed to have specks of gold in them; overall she was very pretty with her full pink lips, high cheekbones and slim nose. Well for a receptionist she seemed pretty bright, unlike the dim-witted girls who I had seen at plenty of other hospitals.

"Excuse me!" I said as soon as I reached her. She looked up from her computer screen and gave me a warm smile.

"Can I help you?" she asked. I nodded my head eagerly.

"Yes, I'm looking for my mother Caroline Smith, I heard she just recently had a heart attack," I said without taking a breath, my heart was pounding against my chest, and I could even hear the noise actually coming out of my chest.

"Let me just check for you," the lady said, as she typed something into her computer. Her eyebrows creased as she looked up my mother. I waited patiently but the suspense was killing me, my knees felt like jelly, and my hands were shaking, well what could you expect, I was going to see my mother for the first time in nearly three or two years.

"Sweetie, your mother is just down the hall, first room on the left, she's stable for now but very weak so I suggest you take it nice and calmly with her," the receptionist advised me. I nodded my head solemnly and took off with her instructions to get to my mum's room.

It wasn't that hard to get to, literally a few minutes away from the receptionist's desk, but it felt like hours that I had stood outside the door. Not doing anything at all, just standing outside, and debating whether to go in or stay away forever and to never see my mother again, like she had said to me. She had said when she kicked me out that she never wanted to speak to me, but why would she still consider me family. I thought she disowned me as soon as she knew that I had, had sex with her oh so loving husband, but yet she never did say that directly to my face.