Ch. 15: Unlike you, i am interested

Chapter Fifteen

I stare at Kyle like he lost his mind, furrowing my brows at him. He had pick me up, a lot more earlier than he said.

At 6, he called saying he's at the parking lot. I rushed to clean my desk, and organise the papers back so it will get easier for me to go through again tomorrow afternoon.

I didn't see Jack at all after the talk. He disappeared, I guess he went back home early so I didn't bother him.

I still don't see the deal. I mean it's not like Jack and I in a relationship so why is this such a big of a deal?

Kill me if I know.

"Elaina?" Kyle's voice cut through my train of thoughts, "You alright? You seem...um...distracted."

I blink at him and cleared my throat before nodding, "Yes I'm okay."

His eyes search for any hint that tell him otherwise and when he came up with nothing, he pressed his lips in thin line and huff but didn't bother saying anything else and continue eating his dinner in silence.

We had discussed about the venue and the theme, I let him choose whatever the fuck he wants. After all, it's not like I'm marrying the guy of my dreams anyway.

This is all an arrangement our parents has made for us, and we're going to give it a go to make this shit works. But if it doesn't work out, they can't say we didn't try.

But apparently, Kyle has suggested a wild shit saying that we should get married at the end of the month, which will be in three weeks time which is crazy if I do say so myself.

"I think that's too fast." I finally said frowning alittle, "We only known each other for like what, two days?"

Kyle rolled his eyes, "How long do you want to stay engaged then?"

I shrug, "Until maybe we were interested in one another. Until we found the feelings is mutual. Until we think marriage was not an arrangement our parents made."

He stare at me for the longest time, analysing me, I shift uncomfortably under his gaze not used to having someone staring at me so intently.

I was about to retort something when a small smile made its way to his lips, "Okay." He said, "We'll see how it works. And if it does, at the end of the year. That's my deal."

"Why do you want to marry that fast so badly?" I groaned knowing the end of the year is about two months or so away from tonight.

"Because unlike you, I am interested." He simply stated before raising his hand to call over one of the young waiter for our dessert.

•••

I watch one of our suspect, sitting by the window in the cafe with my shades on.

Jack sat across from me, listening intently. I tried to act like I wasn't eavesdropping, but really I am. I was trying so hard to listen to whatever they were saying, I nearly jump out of my seat when Jack called my name.

I simply glare at him, he raised his brows, "I called your name like hundred times but you weren't listening." He said in defensive voice.

I rolled my eyes and get my shades off since its starting to annoyed the bridge of my nose and the corner of my eyes. "I swear I had enough. I need a break." I grumble and take a sip of my hot chocolate."

Jack smirk, "Why? Stress about wedding?"

A week from the dinner date with Kyle, and this is actually the first time Jack act so civil with me. Ever since I told him, he's been giving me cold shoulder and refuse to talk with me unless he needs to- which is mostly work related.

I grunted, not saying anything since he's right anyway. Jack eye the engagement ring that sat on my finger like it was made to be there and an emotion flickered through his eyes. As fast as it come, it goes away in seconds before I could even know what's going on in his head.

I was good at observing people, but this guy is frustrating. I had no clue with what he's thinking and he's not even nice enough to drop subtle hint.

God, I'm losing my mind.

"When's the wedding?" I heard Jack ask as his eyes finally met mine again.

I frown a little, "We agreed- well more like they agreed at the end of this year." I mumble quietly, my eyes glance over the suspect's table every now and then.

"About a month plus from today." He muttered with furrowed brows.

"Why'd you ask?"

"How the fuck are you going to focus on this mission if you're busy playing bride?" He snapped, annoyance written all over his face but he avoid looking at me. He glared at anything and everything but me.

I frown, "Jack what's wrong? Why are you so against the idea of me getting married? We all know I will still get married to someone eventually."

He snorted, but didn't say anything. He just continue glaring at the cup in front of him and I feel bad for the cup that doesn't even do anything wrong to him.

I crossed my arms and lean forward, "Is there something you're hiding from me Jack? Are you not telling me something important?"

"It doesn't concerned you anymore." He said in a tone that told me he don't want to speak about it.

I rolled my eyes, "It does concerned me when every single time my fiancé or even just my marriage was being mention, you've turn almost like a hulk and you would smash shits if you could." I was annoyed at this point. He got mad, he got so distant and he thinks I don't have the decency to know why?

Well if he think I give up easily, obviously he didn't know me at all.

"Come on, they're leaving."

I heard Jack said before he got up and left the cafe. I sigh, I wish life isn't so complicated. I very well wish that I've taken a different route to my own damn life.

***

Merry Christmas my lovelies!!

Updating this chapter on this very special day for y'all. In my country, it's the 25th already, I don't know about you guys though but nonetheless happy holidays! I hope you had an enjoyable day and I love y'all!

Have a lovely day & week! And I'll talk to you soon!

Yours truly,
Shah 🖤