Ch. 25: losing him

Twenty-Five

"Damien wants to see his sisters." The nurse had said when she walk out of the emergency room.

I frowned, wiping my tears.

Don't the doctor will be the one informing us what's going on with my brother. But nonetheless, I quickly rush in, I've abandoned my feet at the hallways with the boys since I've been pacing a lot and the heels just hurts my feet.

"Damien." I mumble and quickly rush to his side. He looks so pale and so out of it. He pull down his oxygen mask and smile weakly at me and Louisa.

"You look like a disaster." He managed to choke out as he send us cheeky smile.

Louisa chuckled lightly, "You should have seen yourself."

"Oh I bet I still look more fabulous than you two." I get to his side and hold on his hand. He's breathing really loudly and it actually bothers me that his heart rate is so slow and weak. You could hear it beep and it's worry me.

And I know I don't need the doctor to tell me to know my brother is fighting for a very last breath.

I sniff and wipe away the tears, he blink a couple of time and turn to me slowly. "It's not your fault pumpkin." Damien said softly, "Don't blame yourself for whatever has happened."

I cried as I shake my head, "You shouldn't even be here!"

"Hey listen," he said as he touch both my hand and Louisa's we look at him and waited for whatever he wanted to say. His eyes so droopy and he winced in pain and breath loudly, "Any message for dad?"

"Don't talk like that!" Louisa cried.

"You'll be fine kid." Damien told her, "You have Elaina. And you will have mom once you find her."

I don't know how to feel about Damien openly accepting the fact that he's dying. I glance at Louisa and her body shake from crying so hard. She look at me weakly, "Tell me he will be okay."

I look back at Damien, he had his eyes close but his chest rise and fall ever so slowly. I close my eyes and look down on my feet, shaking my head. "Tell dad we love him and miss him so much." I muttered quietly and look back at Damien to see a small smile on his face.

I heard Louisa's feet running away and the door slam shut. "I'll take care of them, I promise."

Damien smile, "I know you will pumpkin." He replied. "You did good Elaina, I'm so proud of you. I will always be."

I broke down crying at the fact he said the same thing dad had said to me before he take his last breath.

The beeping of his heart went straight empty lines. No words can describe how much my heart breaks. The doctor and Nurses rush in and one of them push me aside. I couldn't register what's going on anymore. I heard distinctively that the doctor yelling about something and then when I'm out the door, the boys asking me what's happening.

About two minutes later, the same doctor walk out and look at me and Louisa. "I'm sorry your Brother......" I blocked him out.