Ch. 31: back to school i go

Thirty-One

I was thankful when Max didn't mind me staying over. He look even more terrible since I last saw him. He rent out an apartment that's not far from his house, in case his dad got into trouble again. He just couldn't handle seeing him like that anymore.

Something that he and Louisa can relate to.

I did mention about my drinking habits, about my hallucinations about Damien hovering around me. He didn't even bat an eye or look at me like I've lost my sanity. Instead he said, "It's more like you still conscious about what you're doing Elaina. You just wish he was there to tell you that, so your mind decided to let you see things no one could."

It comforts me that he didn't push me away when I came through that door the other night, drunk. He just sit through my every rants and as I having arguments with Damien about me being alcoholic. He don't move a muscle and just let me be me.

But I know, soon enough, just like Louisa he will grow tired of me. Hell, everyone will grow tired of nursing someone that slowly losing her sanity each day.

At some point, I still find myself talking to the mirror about my mission to hunt that jackass down and pay him a long overdue visit. And soon, I might do just that.

I look at my own reflection in the mirror, barely recognise the girl. My hair is pull to a low ponytail and I'm wearing mom's favourite black dress that she picked out for me. I'm finally going to her grave for the first time after a long time- sober. I owe her that much.

Max is out running errands, he still refuse to tell me what he been doing. He always change the subject whenever I bring it up, and I didn't want to force him to tell me so I drop it almost all the time.

My phone chime with a new text message. I know it's either Jack or Louisa. Only those two would still look for me, they never give up trying to talk me into coming home.

I won't. I had trouble them enough. It's time I carry my burden ass elsewhere.

I head on over to Jon's office and slam the door open, he merely look up and nodding his head at me. Probably already know what I'm here for.

"If you still want the guy, I have a favour to ask." He speak before I could even say a word. I raised my brows. He shrug, "There's a couple I need you to hunt. They've been stealing drugs. Where they get it from, is where you'll find him."

I scoff, "Where can I find them?"

He smirk, "You're going to have to go back to school."

❤️

I grunted walking down the sidewalk, feeling myself dreading going to my first class in Uni. Months has gone by, I should  have at least been graduated by now. But anyway, Jon didn't sign me up as Elaina Morris he actually named me Elliot Jones.

And again, he think I should stay low profile and let people think I involved myself in studies and sort of shit like that.

I had my hair up in a bun and my ridiculous huge rimmed glasses on my face. I had the fake braces going on in my teeth too. He thinks that way, not many will recognise me outside when I'm not in my disguise.

It's annoying really.

Why can't I just go to school and be myself for once. I'm always on my disguise on almost every mission I gone to and it's slowly annoyed me. I used to think that it's fun until lately, I found it plain annoying.

I step in the first class, take a huge breath noticing that the room is half full already. Though most of them don't acknowledge the weird girl that enrolled in mid-term, a few of them actually glance at me curiously.

I grab a seat right at the end corner, desperately want the attention off of me.

"Hey," a voice spoke, I look up. My eyes meet the golden brown eyes, she chew on her gum and blow a bubble before it pops and she continue chewing. Taking a seat across from mine, but keeping her eyes on me. "I'm Halsey. You're new right?"

I nod slowly and furrowed my brows, "Yes I'm Elliot Jones."

"Cool, we can be friends." She stated cheerfully before turning around and reach in her bag to pull out her notebooks. "Oh have fun playing catch up with the classes you've missed. But don't worry, I'll let you borrow my notes."

My lips tugged into a small smile, "Thanks."

After class, I have every intentions of heading back home but Halsey fall in step with me. I look at her and raise my brows, "Something you need?" I ask casually and my hold on the thick textbooks tightened. I always feel cautious when someone just walk beside me and not saying a word.

She shot me an easy, laid-back grin. "I thought we could hang. I have nothing else to do." She told me shrugging oh ever so casually like she thinks I wouldn't mind. "You should meet Sage. Though she' younger than us, rest assure, her soul is much older than us."

I chuckle and push my glasses since it's slipping down my nose, "I don't think that's a good idea." I muttered. If the Sage she mentions, is the same Sage that I know, then I'm in trouble. I'm afraid she can recognise me. Hell I'm not even wearing a wig, I'm just on my glasses and this fake braces and a different name. Anyone, can easily recognise me. Unless they're dumb or bad at remembering people faces.

Halsey pout, "Come on I promise you it will be fun." She convinced pulling her charming smile on me. "You don't have any plans right?"

I bit my bottom lip, trying to decide. After minutes of me thinking I finally shrug, "Fine."