Ch. 19: Resigning

Chapter Nineteen

Jack walk straight to where I stand and he stood in front of me and cupped my face, making me look up to meet his blue eyes. His smile was so genuine, it makes my heart aches, "I was attracted to you when I saw you leaving Jon's office. I've like you when I saw you in your office with your reading glasses and a cup of coffee. I've fallen for you when I saw in the lab laughing at Billy's lame joke. And when you smile at me for the first time, I knew then that I'm fucked."

I don't think I would ever cried when someone confessed to me, about here I am, with tears streaming down my face as I stare him. He chuckle softly and wipe the tears away, "Look at you crying cause of my confession." He tease and wrap one arm around me and bring me closer.

I sniffed and wipe my nose, "If anyone know about this I'm cutting you open." I threatened him and wrap my arms around his waist and rest my head on his chest.

He sigh, "But you're engaged Elaina." He remind me softly. "Even if you don't like him or even if he's the target, nobody deserve to be cheated on."

"I know." I muttered and close my eyes and breathe him in before completely pulling away from him, "And even though I'm ecstatic to know you feel the same, I won't even be with you as long as I'm engaged with Kyle. I don't like cheating, that's not who I am."

He smile nodding, "I know. That's one of the few things why I like you."

I punch him on the chest, "Stop it don't flirt with someone else's fiancée." I told him and look back at dad's gravestone one more time. I put my finger to my lips and then press it on top of the cold gravestone. "I'll see you soon dad."

And with that I went and walk down the path to leave the graveyard. Jack jog a little as he catch up with me, "Dare I asked what are you going to do about Kyle?"

I groaned, "I'll do background check on him. I have a dinner with him tomorrow so I'll probably just casually ask what he do for a living." I answered and rubbed my eyes. Once we're down the street I start to feel nausea, "I think I'm gonna be sick."

I quickly run to where there's grass and puke my gut out. "Oh god, that's so gross." I groaned and then puke again.

I heard Jack chuckle as he pull my hair back and pat my back, "I remember once you said you will never drink again, what happened to that?"

"Shut up" I scowl, but my face contorted into pain before I start puking again.

Once I'm sure that I won't start puking again, I stood up and groaned loudly. Jack hand me a handkerchief and grimace when he sees that I'm done. "Thanks," I muttered and wipe my mouth.

"Jon still at home?" I asked and Jack lead me to his car.

Jack shake his head, "Your brother kick him out." He said. "He's really protective over you that he almost punch him on the face."

I frowned, "How would he even know? He was upstairs in his room."

"You're wrong." He told me, "He went down when he heard you yelled. And then he heard what Jon said after that. Quite drama I tell you."

I chuckle, "He has always been the drama one."

Jack laugh, "I have never seen him get so mad before. Even Jon look terrified."

We both laugh loudly, and then there's it again, I heard my dad's laughter joining us and my laughter quickly died down. I furrowed my brows trying to listen to his laughter, "You heard that?" I asked.

Jack frowned, "Hear what?" He look around obviously not knowing what I was talking about. "I don't hear anything."

"I swear I heard my dad's laugh." I told him looking around and then my eyes stop on a figure, my dad's figure smiling at us widely in his handsome all white outfit. I let out a sigh, "I think I'm going crazy."

Jack chuckle and drape an arm around my shoulder, "You're not. You just miss him that much."

"Or maybe I am going crazy and start hallucinating shit."

•••

I thought I could have a day off on a Saturday but no, I'm stuck with Mom fussing over me about the wedding that will come in less than a month. I was scared and nervous.

It's been a week since Jack's confession, I didn't went to work for a week. We'll see how Jon will survive without me in his firm.

I quit school, much to Arialyn's dismay, I quit. But Max, Arialyn and Sage came over regularly and hang out with me. And for the first time, they actually see me as my real self and not in disguise.

Of course they don't recognise me at first, but Max being Max start flirting with me and that's when I know our friendship is real. I don't have to act like I'm someone else. Even though I stopped and in the process of resigning, Louisa stay and continue with her contract.

"You really gonna resign?" Louisa ask as she saw me on my computer, doing my usual job hunting online.

I snorted, "Yes I'm not gonna waste my time working for someone who has so little to no trust for me. Someone whom already work for him for so many years." I answered frowning a little when instead of feelings angry, I actually felt more like upset.

"We're under so much stress Elaina, you can't just stop what you've been working on for so many years just for this misunderstanding." She argued, "Don't you think it's a little over dramatic?"

"That's why in my resignation letter, I clearly stated that I will stop working for that damn firm once the mission is over. That's the deal. Jon already approved anyway."

Louisa actually look surprise when I mention that last bit, "He did? Then why the hell he didn't say anything?" She ask in annoyance.

"Probably because he's losing one of the best agent the firm ever has." A new voice join our conversation.

I look over to my door and see Jack stood there, leaning on my door. "Hi." He said to me with a small smile then shift his gaze at Louisa, "You supposed to be at the meeting earlier."

Louisa crossed her arms, "I don't feel like going since my sister won't be around." She grumbled and then turn to face me again. "I thought we're in this together."

I sigh, "We are. We were until Jon decided I'm a betrayal."

Jack chuckled, "You need to calm down. Jon was under so much stress. With the other agency questioning him, he couldn't think straight."

I stood up and look at both of them with no emotion, "Jon don't take any shit from anyone. If people were to pressure him on shit he's working on, he probably would tell them to fuck off. I know this because I've worked with him ever since he's appointed to be the boss. I know this because I know him personally. He was my father's bestfriend, I know him better than anyone. So don't you fucking dare pull the pressure shit on me."

With that I walk out of my room and slammed the door shut.

***