Chapter 5: I'm Coming Over

Felicia's POV

When I walked into the house I dropped my backpack on one of the chairs at the small dining room table that was just outside of the kitchen. Seth sat down on the couch and started looking through some papers that were on the coffee table. I opened the refrigerator and took out a jar of pickles. I walked to the seat next to the one that I put my backpack in and popped open the jar. I love the sound it makes when it pops open.

I took a fork from a drawer and took some pickles out of the jar. They were the little baby ones so I put them into a bowl and then closed the jar to put it back in the refrigerator.

I sat down next to Seth on the couch and offered him a pickle. He shook his head and looked back at the stacks of papers he was sifting through. He looked exhausted. I don't think he was supposed to work today so it couldn't be physical fatigue. He was probably stressed out about something.

I looked over his shoulder and saw that he was looking at bills. As I was about to sit back I saw something on his shoulder. There was a smudge of grease on his shirt. He worked at a car shop in town. He wasn't supposed to work today and those stains always came out. I should know. I do the laundry.

"Did you go to work today?" I asked. He was very hard to read. His eyes were closed and his eyebrows were relaxed. It looked like he could fall asleep in seconds. "Seth?" I said.

He opened his eyes and mouth like he was going to say something, but stopped. Then he asked, "Who was that guy you were standing with when I picked you up?"

I rolled my eyes at the question. He was always looking out for me, especially when it came to boys. He wouldn't let me date anyone unless he knew them or met them and had a very long conversation with them. "I asked you first." I said. I was getting a little agitated that he was dodging the question. He was only dodging it though because I was right.

"Yes, I worked today. Now will you answer my question." He said and leaned back in his chair.

"He's just a friend I met today," I said quickly. "Now why were you at work? You told me you weren't going in. You work too hard and you know that." Seth was always a hard worker, but he worked himself too hard. He was always coming home tired and sore. I wish there was something that I could do. I tried getting a job a few months ago, but he told me it was no use because I would never have time to work anyway. He also said everything was under control and we were going to be just fine. He always said that, and we have been fine, every time he's said it, things work out.

He sat back on the couch and looked at me. "You don't have to worry about me, Leecie." He always called me Leecie. It was what my dad used to call me and he thought that since he was the man of the house now and basically a fatherly figure to me, he should continue it. Also because I really liked it and he thought being a good, caring big brother was important.

"Ok but you should really take it easy. You might hurt your back again," I reminded him.

"I know," he said. He leaned over and kissed the top of my head. "I know."

He got off of the couch and walked upstairs, slowly. I could tell he was in pain, but he was also trying to hide it. I didn't say anything. I would just try to get through to him some other time.

Just as he left I got a text from Jonah. I was surprised Seth let the whole boy conversation go so quickly. It was probably because of the long day he had, had.

I opened the text and read it.

Awesome Dude and Your Best Friend: Hey

Me: Hey

Awesome Dude and Your Best Friend: What's up?

Me: Nothing

Awesome Dude and Your Best Friend: Good because I was wondering, what you're doing in Friday?

Me: I don't know, why?

Awesome Dude and Your Best Friend: Well I need help. I need you to help me with math. I know you're smart and I need help. Please help me!!!

Me: I guess I could help.

Awesome Dude and Your Best Friend: Great I will be at your house at 6:30pm on Friday. Bye :)

"What," I said out loud. I covered my mouth with my hand and listened to hear if Seth had noticed. All I could hear was his snoring coming from his room. He really was exhausted.

I frantically texted him saying...

Me: What, no you can't come over.

There was no reply.

Jonah's POV

I got her text but I didn't reply on purpose. I wanted to hang out with her. I mean, I'm sure there were better ways than forcing her to hang out with me and lying about needing help in math, but this was just easier. I wanted to spend time with her and get to know her. She just seemed so interesting. She was pretty and funny and she seemed incredibly sweet and shy though. She seemed smart, even after the whole locker room incident, but that wasn't her fault and I couldn't judge her by that.

I hope she didn't say no because she feels uncomfortable with this whole thing. I don't want to make her feel uncomfortable around me. I want to be friends with her and get to know her. She seems like a really cool girl. She just seems different than the other girls at school. The rest of them are all prissy and high maintenance. But Felicia, she seems so chill and laid back and relaxed. She doesn't seem like she cares about the things the other girls care about. In a good way.

"Shut up!" my dad yelled from upstairs. He was fighting with my mom again. They always fought with each other, but it was never my moms fault. It was my dad's fault. He was terrible to her. I was ashamed to call him my father. The way he treated her was cowardly.

"Jason, please, you need to calm down," my mom said trying to reason with him. I'm sure there fight was just about my dad being a drunk and my mom trying to take care of him and him not wanting any help.

Most of the time that's how the fights went, but occasionally they were serious fights. Occasionally they were about me. My mom wanted to leave, but my dad wanted us here. He would always say, "Harper, I love you so much," and, "you can't leave me. I need you."

That's another reason why I wanted to hang out with her. To get out of here. I felt bad though. My mom always had to put up with my ass of a father and I wasn't much of a help to her. She could never leave like I could. She would never do it. She would never get up and end things with him. She didn't have anywhere to go.

I was lucky. I could leave. I could go to school and get out of the house. I could hang out with my friends and have fun. She was stuck at home. If she tried to leave, he would find her. He threatened her before, saying if she ever tried to get away he would find her and bring her back.

I just wish there was something I could do to help her get away from him.