Chapter 20: Probably Too Good To Be True

Jonah’s POV

I sat in my car just looking at the clock.  8:02, 8:03, 8:04. I was at my favorite place, the park down the road from my elementary school. Andrew and I used to come here all the time and play catch and we would ride bikes on the trails in the woods. I really missed him. I wanted to bring Felicia here after dinner but since that whole thing with my dad went down, I didn’t get to. I hope that didn’t scare her. She probably doesn’t want to see me again. She’s probably scared that I might hurt her like that sometime.

I pushed the idea out of my head. I couldn’t think about that right now. I opened the car door and got out. I opened the back door and lifted up the seat. I looked into the dark compartment and took out a baseball and glove. I put on the glove as I walked up to a wall and threw the ball. When it came back with increasing speed, I caught it in the back of my glove. Maybe I should try out for baseball instead of football. No I would never be able to get out there and do what me and my brother did. It would hurt too much.

I threw the ball in the air. I watched as it spiraled uncontrollably and then rested in my hands for me to throw it again. I brushed my thumb across the red string sewn into it. I rubbed the dirt off of the dusty, dirt caked ball. I closed my eyes, took a deep breath and brought my hand back. When it was at a 90 degree angle. I put all of my anger into the ball. I thought about all of the things that had happened at dinner. My dad interrupting my dinner with Felicia. The way he put his hands on her. The way he always hurt my mother. I brought my elbow out a little bit and jolted forward. I opened my eyes right before the ball was out of my grasp. It hit the wall right where I wanted it to, on the bright neon piece of tape I had put there when I was 12.

I just stood there, throwing and catching the ball, for about half an hour. When I was done I picked up the ball and walked back over to my truck. I put the ball and glove back under the seat where I had gotten them. I got in the drivers seat and pulled out of the park parking lot. I had been the only one there. As I drove away I watched the street light by the basketball court get dimmer and dimmer.

I pulled into the driveway and locked my truck as I walked up to the front door. I heard some noises from the kitchen. I waited to listen. If it was my dad I don’t know what I would do.

I heard the water running from the sink faucet. I opened the door and ran to my moms side. I hugged her so tightly I wouldn’t have been surprised if she stopped breathing. I let her go. "Did he hurt you?" I asked.

"No, Jonah, I’m fine. I think you should go upstairs. It’s been a rough day. I think you should get some sleep." My mom brushed her hand against my cheek. She turned me around and pushed me towards the stairs.

"Mom, we need to leave. We need to go somewhere safe. I can get a job and we can provide for ourselves. We don’t need him. We will just keep getting hurt here. It’s not safe. We-" I was cut off when she brushed my hair back.

"We can’t leave, you know that." She was so calm and quiet. She knew I was scared and I couldn’t handle this again. It was hard because I had heard it all happen before. She pulled me into a hug and tried to calm me down. "It’s okay. I promise when the time is right we will leave. I can’t just take you away. I’m not allowed to leave and take you away from him. He would call the police and they would take you away from me. They might make you stay with him. I just need you to be patient."

I hugged her tighter than I had been before. "I love you mom." I said and walked upstairs to my room. I threw myself on my bed. I just laid there thinking about what it would be like to get away from him. I would be so much happier. I wouldn’t have to think about him hurting me or my mom. I smiled at the thought. It was probably too good to be true.

2 Days Later

Felicia’s POV

I walked into school, opening the doors and letting the warm, inside air wash over me. I turned the corner looking for Jonah. He was standing at his locker with Emma. I know he was upset about his dad and what happened the other night. I had a surprise that would cheer him right up.

His back was facing me. I leaned out to the side and looked at Emma. I pressed my index finger to my lips to tell her to not say anything. She saw me and got the message. She continued her conversation, trying to distract him.

I started into a sprint, taking long strides, then smaller steps. I jumped onto Jonah’s back and wrapped my arms around his neck to hold on. He stumbled forward a little bit. Emma was ready for it because she backed up so he wouldn’t run into her. "Hey," Jonah said.

We both started laughing and he kissed me on the cheek. He let me down and I turned to him. "Guess what’s coming up in less than a week."

"Um, February vacation?" Jonah asked jokingly.

"Yes, and your birthday." I poked him in the stomach playfully.

"Oh yeah," Jonah smiled and looked down at me. He put his arm around my waist.

"I have a very special surprise for you." I wrapped my arms around his neck. "For no reason, I was just wondering, do you ski?"

That made him laugh, "Um, well I snowboard actually."

"Ok that works too. So over vacation I’m taking you somewhere, so just letting you know now, you will need clothes for five days and a bathing suit and all of your ski stuff." I smiled at him and kissed him on the cheek. "I have to get to class, bye." I left before he could ask me any questions about it.

Hey, sorry this chapter was so short. The next one will be longer. Comment and Vote, Thanks:)