1. Chapter 11

(Name) tripped over a shovel as she exited the small shed, Newt following close behind. She looked forward at Jacob, who was guiding the Demiguise to its enclosure, and chuckled slightly as he muttered words of encouragement to the white beast. "Here she comes," Newt said to the awaiting Occamies, who were squealing in excitement.

"Happy to be home? Bet you're exhausted, buddy. Come on," Jacob said, as he lifted the Demiguise into its nest, "there you go... that's right." Jacob grinned at the beast, and Tina walked forward, gently placing the baby Occamy they rescued into the nest next to the others. (Name) turned, and walked into a tool shed nearby.

"Ouch!"

"What's happened?" (Name) asked worriedly, sticking her head out from the shed.

"Someone seems a little upset..." Newt replied, pulling the small twig creature from his pocket. Name giggled at him, and he turned away from her, pink slightly tinting his ears. He walked off, bickering with the small creature, his words tuned out by (Name) as she fiddled with the gardening equipment inside the shed, keeping busy. "Pickett- come on, give me a smile. Picket give me a-" (Name) heard a faint buzzing and chuckled, knowing that the feisty little creature just blew a raspberry at Newt for the umpteenth time since the little leaf-monster was rescued. "All right- now, that is beneath you." (Name) muffled her giggled as Newt started working with the feed buckets elsewhere, and she continued 'organising' the mess surrounding her in the shed, her mind lost deep within her thoughts.

"Hey there, (Nickname)! Whatcha doin'?" a perky voice wrenched her from her daydream. (Name) jumped in surprise, knocking over a picture frame nearby. Queenie grinned at her, her eyes gleaming at the flustered look on (Name)'s face.

"Oh! Erm... just... cleaning," (Name) responded uncertainly.

"Oh, yes. Certainly. Your thoughts were completely engaged in this activity!" Queenie gestured to the pile of disorganised tools and feed bags. (Name) squinted her eyes at her, pursed her lips, and put her hands on her hips. Shaking her head, she turned back to her work. "So, what's the deal with you and Mr. Scamander, (Nickname)?" Queenie pushed suggestively, a large smirk filling her face. (Name) froze, surprised by the personal question.

"I-I don't know what you're talking about." Turning around, she coaxed Queenie out of the shed and grabbed her usual briefcase-work attire. She closed the door quickly, running her hands down her face before going to change.

"(Nickname), don't bother lying to me, honey. I know for a fact that you understood my question," Queenie grinned behind the closed door of the shed. Several loud clatters and clangs were heard coming from inside the hut, and a few mumbled curses strung out from the occupant inside.

"Stupid Legilimens. Can't get any flipping privacy," (Name) mumbled. "Queenie, please don't go rooting through my thoughts please. Those are... private."

"What? Like your feelings for Newt?" Queenie asked innocently.

"What! No! I know nothing of the sort!" (Name) exclaimed as she stumbled out of the shed, clothed in one of Newt's work shirts and some small khaki pants. Her shoes were discarded, and she was left barefoot, her painted toenails being the only non-nude colour from the knees down; they were a bright turquoise. Queenie giggled at her and moved near her ear, her voice barely a whisper.

"Don't worry. Though the occasions are rare, when I am able to read Newt's mind, the only thing I see is you." Queenie retreated into the back of the shed (Name) was in and began playing with the numerous trinkets that littered the shelves inside. (Name), by now, had turned a variety of shades of the colour red, and her face and ears had become so furiously hot, that you could feel the heat radiating off of her skin.

"Queenie, I swear-"

"Oh, Merlin, what are you swearing this time, (Name)?" Newt strolled through casually, picking up randomly strewn gardening tools. He chuckled at her, noticing the vibrancy of her cheeks, and shook his head.

"I-well, erm... She... scared me?"

"Was that a question or an answer?" (Name) huffed at him and she resumed tidying up the shed. She lifted up the knocked over photo and placed it on a higher shelf.

"Hey, Newt. Who is she?" Queenie asked, pointing to the same photo (Name) had replaced.

"Ah... That's- no one." Newt glanced wearily at (Name), who had turned away to hide the grimace the laced her features.

Queenie read him: "Leta Lestrange? I've heard of the family. Aren't they kinda- you know?" Queenie said, pushing for further details.

"Please- don't read my mind," Newt asked quietly. Queenie continued looking at him, and, progressively, a saddened look spread on her face. "Sorry, I asked you not to," Newt said, frustration filling his words more than previously.

"Newt, she can't help it. You know that you're easy to read when you're hurting." (Name) tried calming him with her words, but he shook his head, refusing the attempt.

"I'm not hurting, (Name). Anyway. It was a long time ago."

"That was a real close friendship you had at school," Queenie said, trying to relieve the anxiety within Newt. Instead, her words broke a little of, not only Newt, but also (Name), who looked toward the floor sorrowfully.

"Yes, well, neither of us really fitted in at school, so we-"

"-became real close. For years." Queenie's words made (Name) turn further into the shed, distress filling her as she recalled the time in which she wasn't able to be there for Newt in his time of need. "She was a taker. You need- have a giver." Queenie looked to (Name), who had risen her eyes from the lonely corner of the shed. Queenie gave (Name) a small smile, before Tina walked over, intrigued by the conversation the three were having.

"What are you three talking about?"

"Ah... erm... nothing," Newt stumbled over his words.

"School," Queenie insisted.

"School," Newt agreed. (Name) and Tina raised an eyebrow.

"Did you say school? Is there a school? A wizarding school here? In America?" Jacob had appeared and questions poured out of him like a river. Queenie's face lit up brightly at his interest.

"Of course- Ilvermorny! It's only the best wizard school in the whole world!" Queenie exclaimed, earning a small nod of approval from her sister.

"Ah, I think you'll find the best wizarding school in the world is Hogwarts. Right, (Name)?" Newt asked, looking for backing on his argument. (Name) opened her mouth to answer, but Queenie beat her to it, responding with a loud:

"HOGWASH."

The dispute over school was quickly interrupted by an enormous crack of thunder from Frank's enclosure. The Thunderbird flapped its enormous and numerous wings violently, as it screamed high in the air. It's feathers gleaming black and gold, its eyes sparkling with the white light of lightning. Newt rushed over, staring at the wild sight before him. "Danger... He senses danger..." (Name) stood back from the group and rushed to the entrance shed. She went to climb the ladder when a collection of crashes and thundering booms echoed from outside. She quickly descended, returning to her usual place on Newt's side.

"Newt?" (Name) asked, her words coming out hushed, "I think we might be needed somewhere."
~~~
Newt, (Name), Tina, Jacob, and Queenie stood on a rooftop that towered over the streets below, a SQUIRE'S sign shining brightly above them. (Name) gasped at the havoc around them, sirens wailing in the distance.

"Jeez," Jacob breathed. "Is that the Obscuria- thing?"

"That's more powerful than any Obscurial I have ever heard of..." Newt muttered, moving closer to (Name). Loud explosions erupted nearby, and the streets and stores below them flourished into fire.

Newt gently handed (Name) his briefcase, looking her deep in the eyes. "If I don't come back, look after our creatures." (Name)'s words struggled to form as she stared at him in shock. He turned away from her, looking at the destruction of the Obscurus. "They're not killing it." He whipped his head back around to face her and looked her once more in the eyes, drinking in the (eye colour). He pulled her close and placed a quick kiss upon her forehead, before turning away and jumping off the roof, disapparating.
~~~~~~