The Day My Life Fell Apart

About 5 years ago I found out my perfect world I lived in was being destroyed piece by piece. One night I was lying in bed, but couldn't get to sleep. I decided to go downstairs to get a drink of water to try to help me sleep. My mom still hadn't gotten home from work yet, which was becoming common for her to do. Lately she had been out past midnight and she'd come home smelling like alcohol. I couldn't believe how much of a hypocrite she was, she would always tell my brother, Andy (Andrew), and I to never drink, that the Bible says not to. But here she is, coming in drunk every night for the past two months. I used to think the world of my mom, but today I would tell you that I want nothing to do with her anymore.

"I can't believe you cheated on me!' I hear my dad yell at my mom as I was walking up the stairs and back to my room.

"Shush, you don't want to wake the kids do you?" My mom asked my dad in a loud whisper.

"I don't care if they hear or not. They should know just how much of a hypocrite you are. You tell our children not to drink alcohol, yet here you are drunk. You tell them they shouldn't get tattoos, yet I see you got a new one recently. Now I find out you've cheated on me, what does that tell our children, huh? That it's okay to disobey the Bible and fall into temptation. You're showing them that it's okay to sleep around with other men, while you are married. You aren't setting an example for your children. I'm leaving for the night, until I can talk with you without getting too angry with you. Goodbye Gloria." My dad said leaving my brother and me alone with our drunken mother.

That night, after Dad had left, I went to my brother's room. "Andy, are you asleep?" I asked quietly, sobbing outside his door.

"No, come on in." I did then sat on his bed. "Couldn't sleep either?" Andy asked me.

I shook my head no. "Why did Dad leave?"

"Mom made him angry, he left so he could control that anger. He was doing what Jesus would do." Andy said, hugging me tight.

"Is Dad ever coming back?"

"Of course. Why would you even ask that?"

"He was really mad at Mom."

"Don't worry he'll be back tomorrow. Why don't you try to get some sleep? You can sleep with me if it makes you feel better."

"I love you Andy, please never leave me."

"Never, I'll be here for you forever and always." I fell asleep on his lap after he said that.

                                                  **********************************************

Dad never did come back; he left Andy and me to take care of ourselves while Mom traveled from boyfriend to boyfriend. My mom actually divorced my dad 2 years later, so she could marry some guy she fell in 'love' with.

I'm just glad they eloped instead of having a huge wedding, it made the whole thing a little less irritating. My step-dad turned out to be a great guy, even though he did help to end my parent’s marriage, and I've forgiven him for that. I refused to call my step-dad 'Dad', but I think he was just as happy with me calling him 'Matt' because Andy wouldn't call him anything but rude names.

Matt became like my best friend, he would go out of his way all the time to spend time with me. Not even Kelly, my best friend, did that for me. Matt didn't even mind taking Kelly and me to the mall to go clothes shopping. My favorite thing that we did together was when we would go hiking through the woods in my backyard. Andy came with us one time, about a year later. I thought that was going to be the best thing ever, but I was completely wrong. It was the worst hiking trip I had ever been on.