Dylan's Point Of View 5: Nursery Duty

Miranda picks up her siblings along the way, like she normally does. I pick up Lily and give her a piggyback ride like I normally do on Sundays. Normally Andy does the same with Ben.

"Dylan, do you think we could talk." Miranda asks. I don't know what she wants to talk about, but she wasn't being her peppy self when she asked me that.

"Sure. Let's go to my dad's office."

Amy takes Ben and Lily from us and we head to my dad's office. As soon as I shut the door, Miranda starts crying. I give her a big hug and hold her for a minute before talking to her. This doesn't bother me to do because I view Miranda as my sister, even though she wants me to view her as something else. All she is ever going to be to me is a sister figure. She takes care of her family all the time, so I figure the least I can do is take care of her, in an older brother manner.

"What's wrong?" I ask, gently rubbing her back.

"I won’t have anywhere to live in a month. The bank is taking our house away because Grandpa doesn't have the money to pay for it. Grandpa hasn't had the money to pay for much of anything since after Gabe for here."

"So what are you going to do? You already have a part-time job."

"I don't know what to do. If we lose our house then child services will take us away. I don't want to be separated from my family."

"I wish I knew what to do. Do you mind if I tell my parents to see if they have an idea of what to do?"

"No, I was hoping you would do that."

"I'm sure we can figure out something, maybe I can see if Jack and Andy could help too."

"I don't want to become a burden to anyone. Jack already has his hands full with Amelia."

"You know he will do anything he can to help. He lives your family. I think they remind him of what he missed about having kids of his own around."

"I think you're right." Miranda is still crying at this point.

"You know what will cheer you up?"

"Don't you even think about it Dyly." Miranda says with a smile.

"What did i say about calling me Dyly? Now you asked for it." I start to tickle her and we go outside the office.

"Stop it Dyly!" Miranda says. I'm glad the people around us know this is common for us to do.

My mom comes over to us and places a hand on each of our shoulders. "We're in church. Now behave you two or I'll assign you to nursery duty." This is the best threat she can think of, but it never works, since neither Miranda or I don't mind working in the nursery.

"He started it." Miranda says.

"She asked for it." I say.