I'll See You In Heaven, Dad

Matt motioned for me to come sit on the edge of his bed. I walked over slowly, trying to dry my tears and look strong.

"It's normal to cry." Matt said, pulling my hands from my face and holding them in his.

"Dad, why didn't you tell me you had heart disease?"

"I didn't want you to worry about me. I thought if you never knew, then you'd worry about everything I did. I should have told you."

"I'm just glad I was there when you needed an ambulance."

"I was glad you were too."

"The doctor told me you might not even make it through the night."

"God's calling me home. I just needed to see you and your mom before I leave this world. Is your mom here?"

"I didn't call her, she's more than likely out clubbing right now. Maybe the Jackson's called her." Just then my mom was led into Matt's room.

"Matt? What happened?" Mom asked.

"Gloria, I need you to listen to me. I'm going home, to Heaven. I need you to take care of Amelia, your daughter."

"Matt, what do you mean you're going home to Heaven?"

"I'm dying. This is going to be my last night on Earth. Please take care of Amelia, she needs you."

"I can't believe this. You're leaving me with her so you can go to this other place called Heaven."

"I love you Gloria." With that my mom walked out of Matt's room.

"I can't believe her. Not even seeing her husband dying made her snap out of the la la land she lives in."

"Amelia, please calm down. I don't want to see you angry." I calmed down without hesitation. "Before I go, can you sing me a song?"

"What song?"

"I want you to choose." I chose to sing, "Big House" by Audio Adrenaline, since it's his favorite song.

"I don't know where you lay your head

or where you call your home

I don't know where you eat your meals

or where you talk on the phone

I don't know if you got a cook

a butler or a maid

I don't know if you got a yard

with a hammock in the shade

I don't know if you got some shelter

say a place to hide

I don't know if you live with friends

in whom you can confide

I don't know if you got a family

say a mom or dad

I don't know if you feel love at all

but I bet you wish you had

 Come and go with me

to my Fathers house

Come and go with me

to my Fathers house

 It's a big big house

with lots and lots a room

A big big table

with lots and lots of food

A big big yard

where we can play football

A big big house

Its my Fathers house

 All I know is a big ole house

with rooms for everyone

All I know is lots a land

where we can play and run

All I know is you need love

and I've got a family

All I know is your all alone

so why not come with me?"

                                                  **********************************************

As I finished singing, Matt flat-lined. I didn't feel like crying as much as I thought I would when this happened. I know Matt is much happier where he is now. I let go of Matt's hands and said, "I'll see you in heaven, Dad." Then I left the room so the doctors could do their thing. I walked back to the waiting room to find almost the whole church waiting to hear what was going on with Matt. After people saw me, they started crying, knowing that Matt had passed away.

"Mr. Jackson, can you take me home?" I asked, walking over to him and his wife.

"Of course Amelia. Is Matt?" He didn't even have to say the rest. I shook my head and hugged him, crying all over his shoulder.

"I can't imagine how you must be feeling. What happened just before he died?"

"I sang one final song for him. He died just after I said the last word. I don't know what I'm going to do now."

"Would you like to stay at our house tonight?"

"Can I?"

"We wouldn't ever think of letting you go home by yourself at a time like this. Come on, let's go home."