Kelly's Call

"Kelly, what's so important that you keep calling me about?" I asked when my best friend Kelly answers her phone.

"How did youth group go last night?" Kelly asked me. Kelly is my only close friend, and one of the strongest Christians I know. She had to do something that night, so she missed youth group. She really wanted to be there since Andy was going to be there again.

"Powerful! Amazing! Emotional! Remember how I told you Andy was coming with me last night?"

"Of course. That's why I called."

"He came to the Lord last night!"

"He did? I can't believe I missed it!"

"That's not all that happened last night though." I was starting to tear up just thinking about what I was going to say next.

"You're sad, what happened?"

"Andy left last night. He ran away to Dad's. He believes that God called him to leave this town and move to Dad's. I don't even know where Dad moved to, yet Dad told Andy. I haven't even spoken to Dad since he left."

"Why would God call him to move to your dad's house?"

"To get away from those stupid drugs. Matt caught him high a couple days ago on our hike, and grounded him. Matt did let him go to youth group though, because he knew how much Andy needs God. Andy left after dropping me off back home last night. Why did he have to hang out with those stupid druggies anyway? If it weren't for them, Andy wouldn't have run away."

"God knows what he's doing. Romans 8:28 say, "And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose." Trust God, he has a plan for you and Andy. It seems hard now, but it will make a difference later."

"How can you see any positive from this? Andy told me he'd be here for me forever and always, now he's gone. I'm scared that he won't ever come back. I'm scared that something will happen to him."

"Isaiah 41:10 says "Fear not, for I am with you; Be not dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you, Yes, I will help you, I will uphold you with My righteous right hand." In other words God had everything under control, you just need to trust him."

"Are you going to keep spouting Bible verses at me till I feel better?"

"I wouldn't be a good Godly friend if I didn't try to encourage you with the Bible."

"Well it's working."

"Do you want me to pray with you at school?"

"Yes. I'm so glad you're my friend. I need a strong Christian in my life."

"Everyone does. I'll see you at school, and I'm glad you're my friend too."

                                                  **********************************************

After I hung up, I got ready for school. When I arrived, 20 minutes before school started, Kelly pulled me into our first period class to pray with me. My first period teacher that year, Mr. Jackson, was and still is a strong Christian that went to my church. He let anyone who wanted to go to a quiet place to pray to come into his classroom. 

When we walked in, he noticed how upset I was and asked me what he could pray for me about. I told him about Andy and all of the pain I had been dealing with. Both Kelly and Mr. Jackson prayed for me that day before class started. I remember both of their prayers very clearly.

"Dear Heavenly Father, Amelia needs your presence here with her today. Please help her to remember that you are with her, even when it seems like she is all alone. Give her the courage and strength to make it through school today. Give her peace about Andy, show her your love today as she continues to go on with life. I pray these things in Jesus name, Amen." Mr. Jackson said, as he and Kelly were standing by me, placing their hands on my shoulders.

"Dear Lord, I pray you will help Amelia get through her day. That you will remind her to trust you. That you have a plan, and that sometimes hard things have to happen to strengthen a person for what is to come. Give her peace with her mom and Matt. Help her to not show any hate towards them for what happened in the past, Help her to forgive them for their mistakes. Help her also to forgive her Dad for not contacting her in so many years. Help her to remember that you are her father, and so is Matt. Help her to forgive Andy for leaving her, just as he has accepted you as his savior and Lord of his life. Remind her that you are taking care of Andy, wherever he is. I also pray that you will guide Andy in the way he should go. Take away his addictions. He needs you Lord, now more than ever. Be with Amelia and her family as they go throughout the day. I pray this is your name, Amen." Kelly said.

                                                  **********************************************

As we were finishing up, other students had walked into the classroom. Some of the students from my youth group came and said a quick prayer for me too. I was glad that I hadn't had time to do my makeup today, since I had been crying all morning, that would have been embarrassing to walk around school with mascara running down my face.

I was so glad to have Kelly as my friend. Throughout the day she kept texting me encouraging Bible verses, which made me feel better with every one. After I got home, I called Andy to see if he had made it to Dad's yet.