The 'High' Hike

I love my brother, but he made some giant mistakes, that I have forgave him for now 

The day of our hike started so well. I was excited that Andy wanted to spend time with Matt and me. Andy had become distant with everyone since Mom married Matt. For some reason he opened up to Matt and me on this trip. We had just started our walk when Andy started talking.

"I really love you guys." Andy says, giving Matt and me a hug.

"I love you too. I'm really glad you two accepted me into the family." Matt said.

"I'm glad out of all the guys out in the world, Mom chose to marry you. I still miss Dad, but you are an amazing fill-in." I said.

"Look at that cool purple bunny!" Andy said, pointing at a rock on the ground.

"What are you talking about? That's a rock, a plain boring old rock." I said, looking directly into Andy's eyes. His eyes were glazed over and couldn't focus on anything specific. I was pretty sure he was high again.

"Don't move you'll squish the pretty colorful flowers." Andy said, and I was staring to get worried, there weren't any flowers close to us.

"Andy are you high?" I asked.

"So what If I am? You don't have any control over me." Andy snapped back.

"I do, and you young man are grounded. Now let's get back to the house." Matt said. That was the end of what should have been our best hike ever.

After we got home, Andy went straight to his room. I didn't trust him to be in his room alone when he was high. The last time he was left alone when he was high, he almost committed suicide. I followed him and stopped him from locking me out of his room. He pulled out a backpack and started throwing clothes in it.

"What are you doing?" I asked in a low tone, so only Andy could hear me.

"I'm running away. What does it look like I'm doing?"

"It looks like you're making a huge mistake. That is what it looks like. Where are you even going to go?"

"I'm going to Dad's. Don't follow me."

"You know where Dad is? How come you never told me?"

"Dad told me to go there if I ever needed a place to stay. If he wanted you around, then he would've told you. Obviously he doesn't want you around, so he didn't tell you."

"I'm not letting you run away!" I said, blocking the door.

"I'm running away and you can't stop me."

"What about your promise to never leave me? You told me that we'd be together forever and always." I was crying now.

"I promised you that a long time ago, but now things are different. Mom married some guy, who thinks he can come in and rule over our lives."

"That's what this is about? You're upset that Dad left and Mom remarried. Matt's an awesome guy once you get to know him."

"You only think that because you've got him wrapped around your finger."

"No, I don't. I just found time to get to know him. Did you know that he accepted Christ in his life?"

"Is that supposed to make me like him better? Just because he follows your God." Andy had stopped believing in God the day Mom remarried, at least that's what he told me.

"He's your God too. I can see you've lost touch with God, but we can change that. Before you leave will you do me a favor and come to youth group with me tomorrow night?"

"They won't accept me. I've been down that road before. Nobody there will want to talk to me. Not after what I've done."

"I'll be there, and I'll talk to you. I want you to hear me sing one more time before you leave."

"You can sing for me now, can't you?"

"It won't be the same and you know it! Please come to youth with me tomorrow."

"Fine, but after that I'm gone. I love you baby sister, but I can't stay here anymore with that home wrecker."

"Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. I just know you'll change your mind after tomorrow night." I said then left to my room. I kept my door open all night, so I could keep an eye on Andy.

                                                  **********************************************

The next morning I woke up and got ready for school. I was so happy to find Andy sitting on the couch watching his morning Monk episode and eating a bowl of Chocolate Chex. I joined him with my own bowl of Fruity Pebbles.

"I can't wait for tonight." I tell Andy.

"I'm glad I get to hear you sing one more time before I leave. Just remember that after tonight, I'm leaving town."

"I want you to really think about it before you leave. You were high last night, all those feelings were brought to you by the enemy. When you were at your weakest."'

"I have thought about it, and I'm leaving."

"I don't want you to though. Please stay, for me."

"I can't. Maybe one day Dad will come and get you and we can be a family again. For right now, the best thing for me is to leave. If I get out of town, maybe I can get away from these drugs."

"You know there's an easier solution for that problem. God can help you through your drug addiction, if you let him in."

"What has God done for me lately?"

"He gave us Matt. Out of all the men Mom could have married, God brought us Matt. Matt has changed from the guy Mom originally married, he's a better person after accepting Christ as his Lord and Savior. I know if you accept God, you can be better too. God can heal you of your addiction if you let him in."

"You're turning into one of those Jesus freaks on me. I still don't get how you can like this Matt guy after he helped destroy our family."

"Just come to youth group tonight with an open heart and mind." I said as we left for school.