Telling My Story

All of us were so tired last night that we came home and went to bed. I wake up and check my phone, 3 messages from Dylan.

'Sweet dreams, Amelia.' 10:11 P.M.

'Good morning, Amelia.' 6:49 A.M.

'I'm downstairs hanging with Andy. Just thought I'd warn you.' 7:26 A.M.

'Thanks for the warning. Be down soon.' I text back. I decide to wear my favorite hoodie and a pair of jeans. Something that is casual and comfortable, but not sloppy. I walk out of my room and down the hall. I pass Dad's office and see him inside, he looks like he's crying. I walk inside and next to him. He wraps me in an unexpected hug, which I return.

"What's wrong Dad?"

"Nothing's wrong."

"Then why were you crying?"

"I was looking through some of the old family photo albums I brought with me. This is my favorite picture." Dad says, pointing to the picture in the album. It was a picture of Andy, Dad, Mom, and me just before our family started to fall apart. "Do you want to know why this is my favorite?" I nod. "This is the last picture in the album. The last picture before things fell apart. This is my favorite because, it's a constant reminder of how close we all used to be, and I hope we can become that close again, even without your mother."

"I want that too. I want us to be a family again."

"We always were, we just took a little break from each other."

"I love you Daddy." I hug him.

"I love you too, so much." He hugs me back.

I get a text from Dylan. 'I thought you'd be down soon. You sent me your last text like an hour ago.'

"Who's texting you?" Dad asks.

"Dylan. I told him I'd meet Andy and him downstairs soon, but that was over and hour ago. I should probably go down there so they don't think I've blown them off or something. He's so impatient, just like Jared was."

"He reminds me quite a bit of Jared too, I think that's another reason I took a liking to him. Go have fun, just not too much fun." Dad winks at me, and I roll my eyes back at him, smiling.

                                                  **********************************************

I find Andy and Dylan in the family room, watching a movie. "Facing The Giants?" I ask, sitting down between Dylan and Andy on the couch.

"Yep." Andy and Dylan say together, completely engrossed in the movie. We watch the very last few scenes together in silence.

"What are we going to do now?" I ask.

"If the two of you are up to it, Dad said we could use that left over paint on the fence."